Lord Nelson rocks Jefferson Theater

Trio of bands spark dancing at recent performance

<p>Local group Kendall Street Company kicked off a night of rock and roll at the Jefferson last week.</p>

Local group Kendall Street Company kicked off a night of rock and roll at the Jefferson last week.

Last Thursday, three bands rocked a favorite local venue, the Jefferson Theater. Charlottesville’s own Kendall Street Company performed a stellar opening act followed by The Southern Belles, and Lord Nelson wrapped up the evening of rock, roll and brass with a performance that audience members would remember for days to come.

Kendall Street Company, a band featuring many of the University’s own, kicked off the show in style with songs like “Long Lost” and “Cherry Tree.” The band itself stands out in part due to the unique addition of a saxophone. The instrument frequently pierced the air, providing a smooth juxtaposition to the group’s rock pieces. Kendall Street — having frequently played at small, University-related gigs — outperformed their position as an opener and quickly won over the crowd’s attention right up until the last note rang through the air to well-deserved applause.

The Southern Belles followed with much more of a jam band feel than Kendall Street. The group did not introduce song names, choosing instead just to play long segments of music filled with guitar solos, keyboard solos and wildly varying themes. A strategy like this would not have been successful without musicians as talented as those who make up The Southern Belles. Songs ranged from psychedelic to more of an old-time rock style, leaving many in the crowd — as well as the lead singer — dancing to the beat.

Lord Nelson, the rock band from Nelson County, Va. who closed the show, recently released their debut album “The County.” The group brought a southern/classic rock vibe to the Jefferson with, yet again, the addition of brass. A trombone added flair and emphasis to the group’s rock identity, which, for the third straight performance of the night, had the crowd emphatically swaying.

Overall, the show itself was a well-balanced blend of varying rock aspects. Each performed piece seemed to carve out its own niche in the show as Kendall Street Company, The Southern Belles and Lord Nelson shredded on the downtown stage.