Men’s tennis sweeps both Elon and Furman

<p>Virginia senior Ryan Shane defeated Elon freshman&nbsp;Mario Paccini,&nbsp;6-7, 7-5, 6-1. No. 1 Virginia swept Elon and Furman over the weekend.</p>

Virginia senior Ryan Shane defeated Elon freshman Mario Paccini, 6-7, 7-5, 6-1. No. 1 Virginia swept Elon and Furman over the weekend.

The No. 1 Virginia men’s tennis team (4-0) continued to roll as it dominated a pair of matches Saturday. In a double header, the Cavaliers swept both Elon (2-3) and Furman (2-3) on the Boyd Tinsley Courts at the Boar’s Head Sports Center in Charlottesville.

It was a great showing for the Cavaliers, as they finished off each match quickly and convincingly. The only three-set match in either game was senior Ryan Shane’s 6-7, 7-5, 6-1 comeback win against Elon freshman Mario Paccini. Both of the matches were clinched by singles victories by junior J.C. Aragone, who won 6-2, 6-3 over junior Petar Tomic of Elon and 6-4, 6-2 over Furman sophomore Cameron Green.

With this pair of triumphs, the Cavaliers improved to 4-0 on the year and appear poised to defend their national title.

However, the Cavaliers will face their first real test of the season with No. 9 UCLA coming to Charlottesville Tuesday, which will test the No.1 Cavaliers. The match against the Bruins will also serve as a good tune-up before the Cavaliers host the ITA National Indoor Championship Feb. 12-15.

This will be the first team championship opportunity of the year, and will include the nation’s top 16 teams. The Cavaliers hope to continue their past success in this tournament, as they have won the ITA National Indoor Championship five of the last eight years.