Charlottesville Lady Arm Wrestlers holds tournament to raise money for nonprofit

CLAW partners with Building Experiences to support Virginia students

On Saturday, the Charlottesville Lady Arm Wrestlers, or CLAW, held an armwrestling tournament to raise money for the nonprofit “Building Experiences.”

CLAW is part of a national nonprofit alliance called the Collective of Lady Arm Wrestlers. Their mission is “to empower women and strengthen communities through theater, arm wrestling and philanthropy,” according to the CLAW website.

Sidney Lyon, CLAW member and a behavioral consultant for adults with autism, said arm wrestling serves as a unique platform for women to engage in conversations about relatively difficult issues that are not explored in a daily context, such as sexism, racism, ageism or homophobia.

“It creates a safe space for everyone to have their voice heard,” Lyon said. “I personally participate in open discussions with community members that I otherwise would not come to contact with.”

Dolly Joseph, a lead organizer of CLAW in 2008, said CLAW is about empowering women and supporting creative expression and athleticism.

“People want to see women representing themselves as strong,” Joseph said. “[CLAW’s] events usually start with few people and end with a big crowd.”

Wrestlers wear lively costumes and bring high energy to their tournaments.

“[CLAW’s events] allow people to express themselves creatively, [and] there is an energy result from that,” Lyon said. “CLAW always provides the opportunity for people to be fully accepted as what they truly are and who they are.”

All the profits from competitions are supporting women-initiated causes.

Joseph estimated that the national alliance has raised hundreds of thousands of dollars since their founding, and CLAW has raised $76,962, excluding the funds from the most recent two events.

CLAW’s staff ensures each beneficiary fits the organization’s objective with a collaborative, in-depth process, Lyon said.

Past beneficiaries of CLAW include the Charlottesville Derby Dames, Habitat for Humanity, Literacy Volunteers of Charlottesville/Albemarle, Shelter for Help in Emergency and Sexual Assault Resource Agency.

The beneficiary of last Saturday night’s competition — Building Experiences — is a Charlottesville-based organization also founded by Joseph, offering free services to help young adults transition from high school to college.

Joseph said Building Experiences primarily aids first-generation college students. Staff assist students with writing transfer applications and understanding financial aid.

Building Experiences has practiced for two years and regularly connects with its students at several Virginia universities. It is currently serving 90 students with a less than $10,000 annual budget.

“We know how important it is to have a network of support,” Joseph said. “Having a positive peer group [and learning] from one another is beneficial to students.”