Mae Jemison, first African-American woman in space, speaks at Old Cabell

Physician stresses importance of diversity in STEM fields

<p>Jemison’s speech was the first event in the year-long Excellence Through Diversity Distinguished Learning Series.</p>

Jemison’s speech was the first event in the year-long Excellence Through Diversity Distinguished Learning Series.

Dr. Mae Jemison, the first African-American woman in space, gave a talk at Old Cabell Hall Tuesday night as a part of the Engineering School’s Excellence Through Diversity Distinguished Learning Series.

She began by addressing the wide range of subjects that fascinated her as a child and how a strong support system helped her achieve what she has today.

“Don’t doubt,” Jemison said. “Dare.”

She then shared a West African proverb — “No one shows a child the sky” — saying that “we all look up at the world with great wonder and awe.”

On to the topic of diversity, Jemison addressed the necessary inclusion of underrepresented groups, especially in the STEM fields. She stressed the importance of diversity because scientists get to choose what is studied and how value is placed upon scientific findings.

“It’s really the difference — between who’s involved — in how we look at things,” Jemison said.

Jemison also discussed 100 Year Starship, a foundation with the goal to be able to send humans to another star within a century.

“I think we need to push a little harder,” Jemison said about current efforts for space travel. “People always talk about [going back to] the golden age. Why can’t we make a new golden age [for space exploration]?”

The event concluded with a short panel consisting of Jemison and two other former NASA astronauts — Leland D. Melvin, who graduated from the University with a Masters in Materials Science Engineering, and Kathryn Thornton, University director of the Aerospace Engineering Program.

Jemison said she was thrilled about being at the University, choosing to visit for multiple reasons including its rich and transformative history as well as diversity.

“To be a part of a series that’s starting to look at and really examine, how do we do inclusion and diversity and how do we affect change, it’s really important because so many schools talk about it but they don't actually put the work in,” Jemison said. “So I’m pretty excited about that as well, and being able to talk to students is always exciting.”

Melvin only had praise for his time at the University.

“My whole journey has been about overcoming setbacks and obstacles,” Melvin said. “The thing about the Materials Science department — they allowed me to play professional football and be a student here. They were videotaping the courses and mailing them to me in Dallas. By day I’m catching balls for America’s team, by night I’m doing materials science engineering. And when I was injured, I came right back here and finished my degree.”

“It was just a very supporting, loving, caring community that helped me during that time,” Melvin said.

Willie Williams, associate director of education and outreach at the Engineering School, said the series is the vision of John Gates, associate dean for diversity and inclusion at the Engineering School.

“[Gates has] an extraordinary vision of diversity that he wants to share, not only in the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences but also the whole University,” Williams said. “We have a great schedule of events. This is going to happen every year. It’s just going to keep getting better and better.”