​Field hockey drops second game in a row

No. 3 Maryland overcomes No. 8 Virginia in tight contest

No. 8 Virginia suffered another disappointing defeat Tuesday in its 2-1 loss to No. 3 Maryland (14-3, 6-1 Big 10). The Cavaliers (11-7, 3-3 ACC) dominated the game but were once again unable to get the result. The game had a similar feel to the 3-2 overtime loss to No. 6 Louisville Friday.

In the game against the Cardinals (15-3, 3-3 ACC), Virginia outshot its opponent 22 to 12, only capitalizing on two of those attempts. The Cavaliers also outshot the Terps (14-3, 6-1 Big 10) by a significant margin, 19 to six. Again, Virginia had trouble converting those shots to goals, yet let in two goals off of so few shots. Maryland junior goalkeeper Sarah Bates played a strong game, logging eight saves, which was a career high.

Virginia led both Louisville and Maryland in penalty corners with the margin in the most recent defeat seven to one. Yet the Terps made the most of their lone penalty corner, and it provided the first goal of the game 23:23 into the contest.

The Cavaliers responded before halftime when senior striker Riley Tata scored for the third game in a row. The goal, a tap-in rebound off of the Maryland goalkeeper, was Tata’s 10th of the season. The Terps scored the game-winning goal 10 minutes into the second half.

Virginia plays its next game against James Madison Sunday at 1 p.m. in Charlottesville for its final home game of the season.