ADAPT trades t-shirts for signatures on Foxfield safety pledge

Alcohol and Drug Abuse Prevention Team encourage safe practices

<p>Although Foxfield is not affiliated with the University, it is still considered a tradition by many students.</p>

Although Foxfield is not affiliated with the University, it is still considered a tradition by many students.

The University’s Alcohol and Drug Abuse Prevention Team held tabling events over the past several days where students had the opportunity to sign the “Savvy Fox Pledge,” which promotes safety practices for the Foxfield Races to be held Saturday. Those who signed were given free t-shirts.

Students who signed the pledge promised to “use safer drinking habits, be an active bystander, and plan ahead for a sober ride home.”

Although Foxfield is not affiliated with the University, it is still considered a tradition by many students. However, various institutions on Grounds point to the safety concerns it raises because there is a heavy alcohol presence at the event, and many students drive to the event.

ADAPT intern Andrew Levy, a second-year College student, said in an email to The Cavalier Daily the pledge signing is also an annual tradition, which reminds students to be safe even as they have fun.

“I think the pledge is effective both in making students more aware of their behaviors while at Foxfield, and at reminding students that there is risk in drinking, and that they are the only ones who can minimize that risk,” Levy said.

The safe practices ADAPT is promoting include eating protein before and during drinking, consuming no more than one standard drink per hour and alternating alcoholic beverages with water.

Levy said ADAPT hopes to gather 2,000 signatures this year, but will likely surpass that number this week based on how their first night of tabling went.

Sean Myrtetus, a fourth-year College student, was one of the students who signed the “Savvy Fox Pledge” this week.

“I signed the pledge because I typically use safe drinking habits, and I feel that using these habits will be especially important while I am at Foxfield,” Myrtetus said. “I also very much enjoy free t-shirts.”

Ruby Garofalo, a second-year College and Curry student, also signed the pledge, and said those who wanted a t-shirt had to recite one of the safety statements before receiving it.

“I like how they make you tell them one statement that you pledged to while signing the pledge,” Garofalo said. “That way it brings attention and awareness to the matter.”

However, when asked if he thought ADAPT’s efforts were effective in promoting Foxfield Safety, Myrtetus said he felt they are probably not that effective.

“I think many people view Foxfield as a place to get super drunk, and will plan on doing that regardless,” Myrtetus said.

ADAPT is not the only group at the University trying to help students be safe at Foxfield. University Dean of Students Allen Groves sent an email promoting safety to the entire student body earlier this week. Student Council President and third-year College student Sarah Kenny also sent a similar email to student leaders.

Grove’s email highlighted the other resources offered by ADAPT for students, such as a safety tent which will be set up at the event and two information sessions this week.

“As in past years, there will be a significant law enforcement presence on the roads leading to Foxfield and within the event grounds,” Groves said. “These uniformed officers, in conjunction with a private public safety team, will focus on providing a safe environment for all spectators, assisting individuals in need of help, and deterring and responding to illegal activity.”

Both Groves and Kenny emphasized the need for safe transportation to and from Foxfield, and said that a limited number of Yellow Cabs will be available.

Kenny also included a 2016 presentation in her email from the Albemarle County Police Department, which pointed out common reasons for arrests at Foxfield, including indecency, trespassing and disorderly conduct.

“[When interacting with law enforcement] do not argue or debate, that’s what court is for,” the presentation notes. “Help us to help you.”

Albemarle County Police arrested 20 people at Foxfield last year — of the arrests, 15 of of them were alcohol-related.

Both Myrtetus and Garofalo agreed that law enforcement should primarily act in the interest of students and their safety.

“Yes there will be plenty of underage drinking, but they are there to deal with the more important issues, like if people start to get violent or belligerent or alcohol poisoning,” Garofalo said.

Myrtetus echoed her sentiments.

“If people are breaking the law, police have the prerogative to enforce it, but the primary result of their actions should be creating a safe environment,” Myrtetus said.