'Everybody' brings fresh perspective to race

Latest Logic single speaks from new viewpoint

<p>Logic's new single, "Everybody," offers a look into his upcoming project by the same name.&nbsp;</p>

Logic's new single, "Everybody," offers a look into his upcoming project by the same name. 

Logic’s newest single offers a glimpse into the artist’s upcoming project by the same name — “Everybody.” The project’s theme has been teased for months, especially after Logic’s most recent project, “Bobby Tarantino.”

The theme of race will be a strong presence on the album, and if it wasn’t clear before, it was made apparent in this most recent release. In the first verse Logic says, “Hell of a long way from equal is how they treat us / Body of a builder with the mind of a fetus / Turn on the television and see the vision they feed us.” The line does not explicitly mention race, yet it clearly introduces the theme of inequality that goes hand in hand with race in America.

The chorus maintains this momentum and carries it into the second verse in which Logic speaks about the difficulties he had growing up as a biracial child of a black father and a white mother, saying, “In my blood is the slave and the master / It's like the devil playin spades with the pastor … White people told me as a child, as a little boy, playin’ with his toys / I should be ashamed to be black / And some black people look ashamed when I rap / Like my great granddaddy didn’t take a whip to the back.” While race is typically addressed in hip-hop from the black perspective, Logic is changing that with his own perspective as a biracial man.

Lyrically, much like Logic’s other music, “Everybody” is rich and filled with narrative deeper meaning and wordplay. The lyrics paired with Logic’s pacing and the simple yet satisfying production result in an experience that is not only pleasurable but also thought provoking. It’s apparent that the production of “Everybody” took inspiration from Kendrick Lamar’s “Alright” through the utilization vocal chops as the base sound to create the song’s instrumental.

That being said, this single is distinctly different from Logic’s previous work to date. The single features the typical upbeat nature of the bulk of Logic’s work, but seems to be missing the science fiction narratives from “The Incredible True Story” or the party music from “Bobby Tarantino.”

As this single stands strong on its own with old and new elements of Logic’s style, fans await the release of the full album by the same name.