Foster the People’s new EP reminds us why we fell in love

Band is back with a bang after three-year hiatus

<p>“III” gives fans a much-needed sneak peek into Foster the People’s new sound.</p>

“III” gives fans a much-needed sneak peek into Foster the People’s new sound.

Following a three-year hiatus, alternative rock band Foster the People is back with a new EP, “III.” After their major breakthrough album, “Torches,” was released in 2011, the band quickly gained overnight fame for their unique, danceable alternative rock tracks, funky assortment of sounds and even controversial lyrical content — as seen in their smash hit, “Pumped Up Kicks,” which alludes to a young boy coming after “other kids with the pumped up kicks” with a gun.

The band’s 2014 album, “Supermodel,” unfortunately did not live up to critics’ or fans’ expectations, especially after the band’s wildly successful debut. After this disappointing second album, the band has since gained another member, Sean Cimino, to help enhance their sound, variety of instrumental use and creative input.

“III” is certainly a step in the right direction for the band after a few years of going off the grid. In their latest release, Foster the People reclaims some of the successful sounds they established in 2011 while also incorporating new pop sounds, an extra guitar by Cimino and lyrical evolutions.

From opening track “Pay the Man,” it becomes clear that Foster the People is subscribing to a common trend in music these days — allowing pop influence to pull the band away from its original rock roots. With strong electric keyboard, an energetic bass line and quick-paced singing by lead singer Mark Foster, “Pay the Man” is an upbeat track on its face. However, coupled with unforeseen deep lyrics commenting on societal and personal issues — such as “The deaf man heard what the mute man said / Then they all followed where the blind man led” — “Pay the Man” is not only audibly enjoyable, but sophisticated as well.

The second track, “Doing it for the Money,” was a collaborated project with Ryan Tedder of OneRepublic, whose pop-rock influence is blatant. Through the more anthemic chorus and hip-hop-tinged musical sounds of heavy synthesizers and less guitar, this track is the EP’s poppiest. While the song strays from Foster the People’s established sound, it’s a noble stab at something new.

While some fans may fear that “Doing it for the Money” indicates a divorce from Foster the People’s alt-rock origins, the last track on the EP, “SHC,” is reminiscent of the sounds that made the band so popular in their “Torches” era. With heavy guitar from both Foster and new member Cimino — coupled with Foster’s falsetto chorus and strong dance beat — “SHC” is a pleasant reminder of the band’s talent and versatility.

“III” gives fans a much-needed sneak peek into Foster the People’s new sound, especially with an upcoming LP anticipated in the next year. After a quiet hiatus, they’ve come back with a bang.