Will summer 2017 deliver on the big screen?

Anticipated releases look to be a mixed bag

<p>Dwayne Johnson and Zac Efron's "Baywatch" reboot is among the biggest films hitting the silver screen this summer.</p>

Dwayne Johnson and Zac Efron's "Baywatch" reboot is among the biggest films hitting the silver screen this summer.

Summer 2017 promises a diverse range of films for people of all ages and interests, including numerous genres, sequels or remakes of old films. There are some must-sees — and also some to avoid at all costs.

“Baywatch”

May 25

Dwayne Johnson and Zac Efron are certainly popular actors, but “Baywatch” continues the trend of movies hypersexualizing women and forcing a singular definition of masculinity on its audience. Perhaps harmless to some, themes like these perpetuate negative stereotypes and issues in today’s society. Viewers can watch mindlessly or a little more critically, but regardless, “Baywatch” looks like just another stereotyping film catering to what the movie industry projects as normal.

“Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales”

May 26

The newest addition to the “Pirates of the Caribbean” series could be an epic interlocking of old and new storylines and characters. Probably, it will be a disastrous and convoluted mess. Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp) returns in an attempt to reclaim original and new Pirates fans alike following the fourth movie, “On Stranger Tides,” which fell short of audience expectations. “Tides” lacked the darkness that increased through the first three movies. Though “Dead Men Tell No Tales” promises a return to the more mysterious atmosphere, that alone will not save the flick. As the series progressed, each movie’s plot has been more and more complex, which doesn’t always work. “At World’s End” was confusing and jumbled, and there is no reason to believe “Dead Men Tell No Tales” will be any better.

“Wonder Woman”

June 2

A much-needed change in the world of superheroes, “Wonder Woman” starring Gal Gadot will bring a female superhero protagonist to the big screen. Previous films centered around female superheroes, such as “Supergirl,” “Elektra” and “Catwoman,” historically have not been entirely successful, producing hypersexualized and bland lead characters. “Wonder Woman” could be different. The character has a solid background and the Israeli Gadot is a fresh face in the DC Comics universe. Hopefully this film offers more to discuss than just the gender of its star.

“Despicable Me 3”

June 30

Audiences tired of minions very quickly, but the “Despicable Me” franchise continues to chug along. Sure to be a light, entertaining movie to watch with friends, “Despicable Me 3” presents Gru (Steve Carell) and the twin brother he never knew he had. Is this a clever addition to the series or a desperate ploy to jumpstart a lagging franchise? It can be difficult to tell, but even so the movie appears to be a solid, fun investment.

“Spider-Man: Homecoming”

July 7

Spider-Man as a character has been very successful in the past. Unfortunately, the actors playing him have found less joy. There was Tobey Maguire in one trilogy, Andrew Garfield in two films and now Tom Holland. “Homecoming” looks to piggyback off the success of “The Avengers” films by weaving in a handful of other Marvel characters. Including multiple superheroes definitely draws in a bigger crowd, and “Homecoming” will likely do the same — but what Spider-Man needs most is a permanent face going forward.

“Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets”

July 21

“Valerian” sets up a classic peaceful paradise threatened by a dark force trope, and its intergalactic setting and incredible imagination will surely solidify it as a sci-fi movie worth catching. The real test of a big-budget sci-fi movie, however, is whether or not it can deliver dynamic and interesting characters, a well-thought-out setting and a clear and substantial plot. Whether or not the film delivers on those points, its unique aesthetic and eye-popping effects make “Valerian” definitely one to see this summer.

“Dunkirk”

July 21

In May 1940, Germany trapped and attacked French forces on the beaches of Dunkirk, leading to the Allies’ evacuation. Director Christopher Nolan captures this moment in history with incredible detail, accuracy and poignancy — and acting from Harry Styles. Historic events can be tricky to produce in theaters, either coming across as drawn out and uninteresting or unrealistic and blown out of proportion. “Dunkirk” hopes to do justice to the facts while dramatizing just enough to offer an intense and entertaining while still respectful film. But then again, it also stars Harry Styles.