A look at how Lawn and Range rooms are assigned

For some future residents, proximity to restroom and friends as well as historical significance are factors in room preference

<p>Lawn and Range students both have to decide if they would prefer a room on the West or East side of the Lawn.&nbsp;</p>

Lawn and Range students both have to decide if they would prefer a room on the West or East side of the Lawn. 

Living in Jefferson’s Academical Village is one of the most honored traditions at the University with notable former residents including Edgar Allan Poe, Woodrow Wilson and Katie Couric. Once undergraduate students are selected to live on the Lawn and graduate students are selected to live on the Range, a process of room selection follows.

Eight rooms on the Lawn are reserved or endowed by various organizations, leaving 47 rooms for Lawn residents to choose from. Names are randomly generated into a list, which determines the order residents select their rooms. Students are offered a brief period where they are able to switch rooms with other residents if they so choose.

Certain rooms on the Range are filled quickly, such as Poe and Wilson’s former rooms on the West Range, and the Crackerbox two-person bedroom behind Hotel F.

“There is this idea that each side has a different vibe,” said Raquel Talbott, a fourth-year College student and Lawn resident. “But in reality, I knew I would be fine with other side because I was given the chance to live in a Lawn room.”

As for Range rooms, future residents decide if they want to live on the West Range along McCormick Road or on the East Range facing the University Hospital.

“The choices I made were I wanted to be on the East Range because it’s quieter and not on McCormick,” said Patrick Leugers, a Law student and Range resident. “We have our own little gardens instead of a bus stop.”

Some Lawn residents try to live in the same room their friends lived in the previous year.

“It worked out quite well for me because my friend lived in the room I’m currently in before,” said Chuck Siegel, a fourth-year College student and Lawn resident. 

Proximity to restrooms is also priority for many Lawn and Range residents alike.

“I tried to get as close to the bathroom as possible, which I kind of did,” Talbott said. “So that’s something people might consider.” 

Leugers also said he wanted a room close to a bathroom. 

Ryan Neice, an Engineering graduate student and Range resident, said he wanted to live on the Range in order to experience the University outside of his specific academic program.

“I know that I would get a better experience at the University and get to meet a lot of people outside outside my major,” Neice said. “Sometimes as grad students, you don’t really get a university experience — you’re living off Grounds at some apartment and you’re only communicating with people in your major.”

Leugers also said he has enjoyed living on the Range because it has allowed him to form friendships with students from other schools at the University. 

“In law school, you’re really segregated up in North Grounds,” Leugers said. “I’ve gotten a real diverse group of friends I wouldn’t have had if I had lived up in North Grounds.”

Undergraduate students in their last year of studies are eligible to apply to live on the Lawn. The application is due Jan. 3 and includes essays about students’ involvements on Grounds and information about their academic record and interests.

The application to live on the Range is available to full-time, degree-seeking graduate students at the University and has not yet been released for the 2018-19 academic year. The Range selection process includes open-house events held in the spring semester where applicants are able to meet and interact with current residents.