Robbery, sexual assault reported Wednesday night

The victim reported she was attacked near 14th St. NW and Grady Ave.

The sexual assault and robbery was reported Wednesday night near 14th St. NW and Grady Ave.

A female University student reported a robbery and sexual assault Wednesday night, according to an alert sent to the University community and press releases from the Charlottesville Police Department. The victim told the University Police Department a man she did not know struck her in the face, sexually assaulted her and stole her wallet and other items around 9:33 p.m. Wednesday.

The report says the incident occurred the intersection of 14th Street and Grady Avenue — an area with many off-Grounds student rentals. The perpetrator is allegedly a five-foot-seven to five-foot-10 African-American male in his mid-20s with medium-length “scruffy” black hair. At the time of the incident, he was reportedly wearing a red t-shirt with white letters, blue jeans and sneakers. 

CPD Sgt. William Newberry said in an email to The Cavalier Daily late Wednesday night that “investigators have responded and it is an ongoing investigation.” 

This is a developing story. This story was updated at 12:20 p.m. and 2:08 p.m. on Sept. 20 with information from Charlottesville Police Department releases.