FERGUSON: Eliminate area requirements in the College of Arts and Sciences

Students should decide what shape their education takes — not the faculty or administration

<p>Students — based on their own goals and interests — should ultimately decide what courses to take.&nbsp;</p>

Students — based on their own goals and interests — should ultimately decide what courses to take. 

Mandating a set curriculum for students enrolled in the College of Arts and Sciences has been a long-standing practice at the University.  By establishing area and competency requirements, the administration seeks to expose students to a variety of academic disciplines at the college level and equip graduates with the skills necessary to adapt in an evolving economy. Effective in the fall of 2017 for certain first years, the University introduced a New College Curriculum focusing on engagements, literacies and disciplines. While the courses offered under the both the traditional and new curricula offer valid approaches to a liberal arts education, the decision to maintain a burdensome level of requirements fails to serve College students as effectively as possible. The University should instead institute an open curriculum in the College of Arts and Sciences to foster a more constructive educational experience. 

Brown University practices a policy similar to this that maximizes freedom of choice in learning. While each major would maintain its own course requirements, the University should not mandate a minimum of area, competency or other requirements for graduation from the College, with the exception of demonstrated skill in written English as Brown does. Currently, Echols Scholars and Forum Participants are the only students in the College who are exempt from fulfilling requirements. The University should extend that same freedom to all College students. 

The Cavalier Daily recently published an opinion column calling for changes to the foreign language requirement. The author was right to point out that the 12 credit requirement posed an undue burden on College students. This and other requirements prevent students from exercising greater agency in their own education. Students — based on their own goals and interests — should ultimately decide what courses to take. They are responsible for their education and, the administration should allow them the greatest freedom possible in shaping their time here.  

Attending college affords students a wealth of educational resources and opportunities to explore. For some, the sudden availability of such resources when beginning their college experience may be overwhelming. Without a mandated framework, choosing classes — especially as a first year — may prove to be difficult. In that case, students should work with their academic advisors to select courses that speak to their interests and strengths, while also may addressing their weaknesses. That way, students can more tailor their education to their own interests and make it the most worthwhile experience possible. 

While expanding choice in course selection would better the student experience in the College, such a policy must accompany the expanded availability of classes taken on a credit or no credit basis. The current limit on such classes prevents students from having a greater range to take risks and immerse themselves in fields with which they may be unfamiliar. One of the most compelling aspects of Brown’s open curriculum is that it allows for greater opportunity to take classes on a credit or no credit basis. Current University policy dictates that no more than 24 credits of coursework graded on a credit or no credit basis can count towards a degree. Combining an open curriculum with the expansion of credit or no credit options would foster a richer classroom experience. Students in each class would be there of their own volition instead of checking off a requirement. Furthermore, with grades no longer a factor, learning and exploration could advance unfettered by the fear of failure. 

Not only does the completion of requirements take away from students’ ability to shape their own educations, the extra cost in tuition, housing and other expenses spent fulfilling the requirements pose a significant financial burden to students and their families. Without requirements, students would be freer to either graduate earlier or work towards greater competency in more fields by pursuing an additional major or minor. 

Arguing in favor of an open curriculum does not disregard the worth of a liberal arts education. As The Wall Street Journal reported, although immediately after graduation liberal arts majors tend to earn less than their vocation-focused counterparts, the divide in compensation between the two groups tends to disappear after a few years. Academic advisors should work with students to craft a curriculum that prepares them for entering a competitive job market and exposes them to the wealth of experiences the University has to offer. However, current policy discourages risk-taking and makes the pursuit of a rich education a chore instead of a joy. 

Thomas Ferguson is an Opinion Columnist for The Cavalier Daily. He can be reached at t.ferguson@cavalierdaily.com.