Renovations on Carr’s Hill estimated to cost over $10 million

Carr’s Hill’s renovation project is currently underway and will cost more than originally planned due to the age of the building and the complexity of the repairs

<p>Carr’s Hill is used as a home for the President and his family and for hosting University events and receptions.&nbsp;</p>

Carr’s Hill is used as a home for the President and his family and for hosting University events and receptions. 

Carr’s Hill — historically the President’s residence — is currently undergoing renovation for the first time in 100 years and is predicted to cost $10 million. The cost of the renovations will be taken from institutional funds and deferred maintenance budgets. Deferred maintenance is maintenance that is, according to the University Budget Office, “deferred on a planned or unplanned basis to a future budget cycle, or postponed until funds are available.” 

The historical building was built in 1909 and has not been renovated since then. It was last repaired in 2007. Currently, the property is on the National Register of Historic Places and the Virginia Landmarks Register.  According to the University, the building is not currently up to standards for its main function. Carr’s Hill is used as a home for the President and his family and for hosting University events and receptions. 

The project was approved  on Jan. 31 last year by the Board of Visitors. It is focused on  replacing the roof, putting in new mechanical systems and restoring some features of the home such as the five chimneys, gutters, slate roof and joists supporting the main floor. The current electrical systems in the building, and many structural aspects, have some deficiencies.

One section of the project concerns the roof, which, due to issues during original construction, does not have enough structural support for the weight that it holds and has led to the building shifting. To solve this, construction workers are putting two steel trusses inside the top floor of the building to help carry the weight of the roof. 

The project was originally supposed to cost $7.9 million — all taken from institutional funds. However, when the roof was examined by the construction crew, they found that it had to be replaced all together — as opposed to repairs — adding an additional $2.3 million to the total cost. This cost will be paid through deferred maintenance budgets. The house will also become wheelchair accessible, and this includes redesigning and enlarging the bathroom located underneath the main staircase.

The historic home is the only one of the “White-designed historic properties” — a category that includes the Rotunda and Old Cabell Hall — that is yet to receive a renovation. Designed by New York City architect Stanford White, Carr’s Hill shares architectural aspects with other buildings around Grounds. 

President Ryan currently lives in Pavilion VII on the Lawn. His family has not yet moved from Massachusetts to Charlottesville and will tentatively move into Carr’s Hill by next summer. The renovation is scheduled to be complete this coming October. 

During the renovation process this year, there was a fire incident on Carr’s Hill on Jan. 14 because a piece of machinery caught on fire. University Spokesman Anthony de Bruyn said the fire was not at the President’s residence but rather in a utility space nearby. There were no damages or injuries from the fire, and construction was not affected.