Executive Vice President and Provost Tom Katsouleas to become next president of the University of Connecticut

Katsouleas will begin his new role Aug. 1, 2019

<p>In his current role, Katsouleas oversees the 11 schools, the University library system, the Fralin Art Museum, all three residential colleges, outreach programs and foreign study abroad programs.&nbsp;</p>

In his current role, Katsouleas oversees the 11 schools, the University library system, the Fralin Art Museum, all three residential colleges, outreach programs and foreign study abroad programs. 

Thomas Katsouleas, who currently serves as the executive vice president and provost at U.Va, has been named the 16th president of the University of Connecticut in Storrs, Conn. today. Katsouleas was approved by the University of Connecticut’s trustees. 

According to the University of Connecticut, there were over 200 applicants for the position. Katsouleas was endorsed for the position by Connecticut Gov. Ned Lamont (D). 

Katsouleas’ current role, in which he has served since 2015, at the University comprises administering the University’s teaching and research efforts. Katsouleas oversees the 11 schools, the University library system, the Fralin Art Museum, all three residential colleges, outreach programs and foreign study abroad programs. 

“The University of Connecticut has made a fantastic choice, and I am excited for Tom as he takes on this next challenge,” University President Jim Ryan said. “For the past four years, Tom’s responsibilities have been both vast and varied, and he has handled them with grace and kindness. Tom has also been incredibly generous to me over the past year, and it has been a joy to work with and learn from him. I look forward to watching him make an even bigger difference in his new role.”

During the transition into his presidency at the University, President Ryan announced plans for changes in the U.Va’s administrative leadership. 

Katsouleas was originally scheduled to leave at the end of the 2017-18 academic year with the transition into President Ryan’s new administration but remained in his role this academic year as the search for the new provost was conducted. Katsouleas’ successor, Liz Magill, was named in Aug. 2018. Earlier last year, Katsouleas was one of three finalists to be the next president of the University of Utah. 

Before assuming roles at the University, Katsouleas served as the dean of engineering at Duke University. He also previously held teaching positions at the University of Southern California and the University of California, Los Angeles.