Student Council President-elect Ellie Brasacchio appoints Chief of Cabinet for next term

Brasacchio’s appointment is Ellen Yates, a second-year College student and current Student Life Committee Chair

<p>Yates said the implementation of a new initiative to allow students to print for free at the Programs and Councils Office in Newcomb Hall will take place between April 15 and final exams this semester from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m., Monday through Thursday.</p>

Yates said the implementation of a new initiative to allow students to print for free at the Programs and Councils Office in Newcomb Hall will take place between April 15 and final exams this semester from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m., Monday through Thursday.

Third-year College student and current Chair of the Representative Body Ellie Brasacchio announced the appointment of Ellen Yates to the position of chief of cabinet at Student Council’s general body meeting Tuesday. Yates is a second-year College student and the current Student Life Committee chair.

Yates will serve as chief of cabinet under Brasacchio, who was elected Friday to serve as the next Student Council president. Brasacchio will formally replace Alex Cintron, a fourth-year College student and current Student Council president, on April 2. 

“As Student Council president I will be able to appoint a chief of cabinet,” Brasacchio said. “This will be my right-hand man, or woman, that will help me with everything that I need to do throughout my term, and I have chosen someone who I think is the best person for the job and who has shown exceptional leadership qualities.”

Yates said that her role as chief of cabinet would mostly involve assisting Brasacchio. 

“I’ll be assisting the president, helping lead Cabinet meetings, helping coordinate the Cabinet and student activities in terms of shaping policy, basically assisting them in whatever they need in terms of contacting administrators, helping with ideas, things like that,” Yates said.

Yates also announced the implementation of a new initiative to allow students to print for free at the Programs and Councils Office in Newcomb Hall between April 15 and final exams this semester from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m., Monday through Thursday. Yates said students will be able to print 25 pages per day, per student for free during this time period on a first-come, first-served basis with a maximum of 1,000 free pages allocated for each day. 

Under the current policy, Contracted Independent Organizations are allowed to print 500 black-and-white pages per day or 100 colored pages in the Student Activities Center on the first floor of Newcomb Hall. Students can currently print in the PAC at a rate of 15 cents per black-and-white page or 75 cents for color pages. 

Yates said the initiative will require some funds currently reserved for CIO copying and printing to be reallocated to allow students to print for free. However, it is unclear exactly how much funding will be reallocated or how the redistribution of funds will affect the number of pages CIOs are able to print per day using Student Council funding. 

Student Council’s 2018-2019 budget allocates a total of $15,000 of Student Activities Funds to allow student organizations, such as CIOs, to print in the Student Activities Center. SAF funds are taken from the Student Activities Fee, a mandatory $50 fee that students pay on a yearly basis to support Student Council’s funding of CIOs. About $52,000 of the total $72,000 budget consists of SAF funding — almost $19,000 of which funds student organizational support, including the Student Activities Center. 

Correction: This article previously stated that Ellen Yates is a third-year College student but has been updated to reflect that Yates is a second-year College student.