U.Va. receives anonymous $5 million donation to Athletics Master Plan and Student Health & Wellness Center

The commitment will financially support athletics renovation plans and new health center

<p>The new Athletics Master Plan complex will provide facilities for more than 70 percent of Virginia’s sport programs.</p>

The new Athletics Master Plan complex will provide facilities for more than 70 percent of Virginia’s sport programs.

The University announced Thursday that it has received an anonymous gift $4 million to support the Athletics Master Plan and a $1 million gift to the Student Health & Wellness Center.

The new Athletics Master Plan complex will provide facilities for more than 70 percent of Virginia’s sport programs, including a Football Operations Center, an Olympic Sports Center, three natural grass practice fields, a pedestrian promenade for improved connectivity between North and Central Grounds and a renovated McCue Center, which serves the University’s student athletes and athletic Departments.

The University initiated the first phase of its athletics renovations last fall as Onesty Hall and The Cage were demolished to clear space for two grass practice fields for the football program which are set to be completed by August 2020. Onesty Hall was home to the wrestling program, which has since moved to Memorial Gymnasium, and The Cage hosted multiple teams including track and field, which now practices at Lannigan Field, and softball, now at The Park at North Grounds. University Hall, home of the University’s basketball programs from 1965-2006, was demolished May 25 as part of the ongoing athletics renovation project. 

The plan will transform the athletics department with new and renovated buildings and practice fields at an estimated cost between $12 million to $14 million.

The new Student Health & Wellness Center, which will be located on Brandon Avenue near the South Lawn and Julian Bond House, is expected to be completed in spring 2021, featuring four stories and expanded parking. The 156,000 square foot Center will provide space for clinical services and will be designed to incorporate natural light and other elements of nature into its construction.

“This very generous gift is a great boost for the Master Plan, and for that we are thankful,” Carla Williams, Virginia director of athletics, said in a press release. “We need gifts of all sizes to make this project a reality for UVA and our athletics community. While the donor for this gift wishes to remain anonymous, it is important for us to acknowledge how grateful we are for their tremendous support.”