Man in custody after surrendering to Albemarle County police near Fontaine Research Park

University community alerted of incident through a series of email messages

<p>The man was sitting in his car and was armed with a handgun, according to Albemarle County Police.</p>

The man was sitting in his car and was armed with a handgun, according to Albemarle County Police.

Albemarle County police took into custody an armed man near a Fontaine Avenue parking lot threatening self-harm Wednesday morning. The man surrendered peacefully after talking to police for over an hour, and the incident was cleared with no injuries. 

The University community was alerted of the incident through a series of messages by U.Va. Alerts. Although Fontaine Research Park — home to a variety of University-related research units, departments and clinics — is near Grounds off of Interstate 64 and Route 29, the incident occurred within the jurisdiction of the Albemarle County Police Department.

University Police and Virginia State Police also responded to the scene to lend assistance, according to University spokesperson Anthony de Bruyn.

“The University’s response to such a situation would be similar to the response [yesterday] by APD,” de Bruyn said. “Officials would secure the area and negotiate with the individual to de-escalate the situation and work toward a peaceful resolution. We are grateful to APD for its response and professionalism in handling the incident.”

Albemarle County police did not respond to a request by press time to clarify whether the individual is affiliated with the University.