Car fire near Lee Street Garage extinguished

Lee Street is now operating normally

<p>The area around the garage was closed for nearly an hour and a half after the accident, resulting in a heavy traffic build-up on Jefferson Park Avenue this morning.</p>

The area around the garage was closed for nearly an hour and a half after the accident, resulting in a heavy traffic build-up on Jefferson Park Avenue this morning.

A car fire near Lee Street Garage that has since been extinguished led to Lee Street being briefly closed this morning at around 9:30 a.m., according to a University-wide email alert. The area around the garage was closed for nearly an hour and a half after the accident, with Charlottesville Fire and University Police at the site, resulting in a heavy traffic build-up on Jefferson Park Avenue this morning.

Lee Street is now operating normally, but “parking in garage is restricted to exiting via 11th St,” according to the alert. No injuries were reported.

The Lee Street Garage is a mainly patient-reserved parking garage located in the University Health System Hospital.

The University did not provide any additional details at this time.

There was a heavy traffic build-up on Jefferson Park Avenue as a result of the incident.