ReMix brings new energy to grounds

The hip-hop a cappella group threw a party during their fall semester concert

<p>ReMix, the University's resident hip-hop a cappella group, hosted their fall concert last Friday in the Runk Green Room.&nbsp;</p>

ReMix, the University's resident hip-hop a cappella group, hosted their fall concert last Friday in the Runk Green Room. 

The University’s resident hip-hop a cappella group ReMix gave their audience an ode to R&B and rap music in the Runk Green Room Friday night. As the only hip-hop a capella group on Grounds, ReMix used their fall concert to showcase their talent with songs from this year, old classics and some risque pieces. The 11 member ensemble created a cool, lively show for the audience. From the smiles on the performers’ faces to the dancing crowd, it was clear that this concert was a well-constructed masterpiece. 

ReMix had been practicing for this show since the end of August, according to Maleya LeVere, third-year College student and vice president of ReMix. Performing over 10 songs in just under an hour, the group had their work cut out for them, but their cohesive performance looked effortless. The arrangement of vocals they had throughout the show was perfect, giving new harmonies to classic songs and creating a new, exciting effect. 

The theme for the show was “Welcome to the Party” — the same name as the 2019 hit by rapper Pop Smoke. Each member was decked out in their best club wear. There was one member in a “security” shirt dressed like a bouncer, and others were decked out in glitter and high heels. The visual aspect of the performance matched the vibe of the music, as all members of ReMix were clearly full of energy and excited to start the show.  

The concert began with a performance of “It’s Goin’ Down,” the 2006 song by rapper Yung Joc. From this point on, the energy in the room skyrocketed. Almost immediately after the beatboxing started, there were sounds of jubilation from the crowd — suddenly, half of the room was dancing. This choice to start with an upbeat party hit set the precedent for the rest of the night. After this song, the party continued with renditions of popular songs like “Doo Wop (That Thing)” by Lauryn Hill and “Power Trip” by J. Cole. 

After a 10-minute intermission, ReMix came out in new outfits that highlighted their individuality instead of the theme. In the second half of the show, singers could showcase their vocal range with songs that are more sonically complicated like “My Boo” by Usher and Alicia Keys and “Yo (Excuse Me Miss)” by Chris Brown, which was performed as a part of a larger Chris Brown compilation. 

The last song ReMix performed from their official setlist was “My Type” by Saweetie. This song truly exemplified the skill of each individual member of the group. A few people were rapping, some were beatboxing and the rest were harmonizing and creating a visual presence for the song. This song was one of many moments of comedic relief from from the R&B-centered part of the show, with raunchy lyrics and a contemporary upbeat change.

ReMix’s grand finale was a sight to see. They invited alumni members to join them for the last number. As a ReMix tradition, the members sing the same medley at the end of every show — Black Boy Bands or BBB for short. The compilation featured R&B slow jams by various groups from over the years, including the timeless classic “End of the Road” by quartet Boyz II Men. 

The members of ReMix selected songs carefully to match the theme of the show, choosing songs they knew and loved, as well as some new ones that posed more of a challenge. Together as a group they voted to pick the set list. 

“It’s a democracy,” LeVere said. 

This concert was certainly one to remember, both for the talent and for ReMix’s ability to just let loose and have fun in front of a crowd.