Hillary Clinton, Carly Fiorina to headline upcoming Tom Tom Festival in Charlottesville

Clinton and Fiorina are expected to discuss the role of women in politics

<p>Other festival headliners include Symone Sanders, the senior advisor to former Vice President Joe Biden’s 2020 presidential campaign, and former Mayor of New Orleans Mitch Landrieu.</p>

Other festival headliners include Symone Sanders, the senior advisor to former Vice President Joe Biden’s 2020 presidential campaign, and former Mayor of New Orleans Mitch Landrieu.

Editor's note: The Tom Tom Foundation announced Friday that it will postpone the festival to September 21-27 due to coronavirus concerns.

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and former Hewlett-Packard CEO Carly Fiorina will be headlining this year’s Tom Tom Summit & Festival in downtown Charlottesville April 14 at 7 p.m. 

Clinton and Fiorina’s headlining event will be a celebration of the 100-year anniversary of the Nineteenth Amendment, which gave women the right to vote. The event is being organized in partnership with the University’s Democracy Initiative, Miller Center and the Karsh Center for Law and Democracy.

Clinton and Fiorina are expected to discuss how women have been involved in politics and policy-making in the 21st century — and what they see as the role for women in the future as voters and politicians. Clinton ran for president in 2016 as the Democratic party nominee and Fiorina ran for the Republican party's nomination, suspending her campaign in Feb. 2016. 

Other festival headliners include Symone Sanders, a senior advisor to former Vice President Joe Biden’s 2020 presidential campaign, as well as former Mayor of New Orleans Mitch Landrieu.

Sanders’ event will feature a discussion on her career path and her unique perspective on the 2020 race and millennial political culture. Sanders has worked on presidential campaigns for both Biden and Sanders, as she was Bernie Sanders’ press secretary in 2016. She will be speaking April 16 at 8 p.m. at The Paramount Theater.

Landrieu will be moderating a discussion on the legacy and future of the South. The discussion will feature three African American mayors, all of whom preside over a town that was once the capital of the Confederacy — including Richmond mayor Levar Stoney, Danville mayor Alonzo Jones and Montgomery, Ala. mayor Steven Reed. This event will take place April 16 at 6 p.m. at The Paramount Theater.

The Tom Tom Festival began eight years ago in Charlottesville as a community event with the goal of “breaking down barriers between the arts, business, and government.” The festival will occur in Downtown Charlottesville between April 13 and 19 and will feature free community programming including concerts, mural projects and a silent disco. 

Tickets for the community events are free, but headlining events will require tickets. Students can purchase tickets to see Clinton and Fiorina for $12.50 — half the price of general admission.

Tickets for the general public can be purchased starting March 12.