Second U.Va. community member, employee at Biocomplexity Institute in Arlington, tests positive for COVID-19

The individual is currently recovering at their home

There are 77 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Virginia as of Wednesday evening.

The University announced Wednesday that a second member of the University community has tested positive for COVID-19, the illness caused by novel coronavirus. The unidentified individual is an employee at the University’s Biocomplexity Institute — a scientific research center located in Arlington, Va.

The individual — who is currently recovering at home — is the second University employee confirmed to have COVID-19, after an employee at the Maxine Lynn Platzer Women’s Center was announced to have tested positive for the virus Monday. The individuals are just two of 77 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Virginia. 

In an announcement Tuesday night, the University mandated telecommuting for all faculty and staff, with the exception of employees who “must report in person to carry out key functions of their units, schools or UVA Health.” All adjustments to work plans are to be implemented by the end of the day Friday.

Information about additional cases in the University community will be added to the University’s list of confirmed cases in the community

More updates and information can be found at www.virginia.edu/coronavirus or by calling the U.Va. COVID-19 Response Line at 877-685-4836 for domestic callers, or 202-800-2408 for international callers.

This story will be updated as additional information becomes available.