Top 10 ways to stay healthy during quarantine

Being stuck inside in a routine with nothing but classes to separate the days can lead to a distraction from what really matters — your health

<p>Anna Mason is a Top 10 writer for The Cavalier Daily.</p>

Anna Mason is a Top 10 writer for The Cavalier Daily.

1. Go on walks

Going on walks may sound boring, but it is a very easy way to get out of the bedroom and break up the days. A short walk will allow you to get some fresh air and also elevate your heart rate.  Taking a walk with friends will allow you to also participate in safe social interaction that staying in your room prevents. Through the picturesque Lawn or through the neighborhoods around Charlottesville, there is always plenty of sidewalk and a variety of sights to see.

2. Cook instead of ordering in

Cooking is a basic way of saving money and eating healthy. While it may seem daunting, learning how to cook is a very easy way to spend your time in quarantine. Pinterest and YouTube offer you unlimited resources to make the most out of making healthy and tasty meals. The Cavalier Daily food section also offers plenty of resources for meals geared towards college students and cooking on a budget. 

3. Utilize outdoor activities as a way to see friends

Seeing friends outside is the most responsible way to spend time together during the pandemic. Whether you go on a hike, picnic on the Lawn at a safe distance or go to Sunset Series on Carter’s Mountain, there is a variety of outdoor activities available in Charlottesville for those of you who are online off-Grounds. 

4. Dedicate time to self care

Whenever you have a break from class, take a moment to do something for you. Wash your face, do some laundry or make your bed. Taking just a moment to organize part of your life will help your day feel less monotonous and will also give you a brief break from your school work. 

5. Catch up on sleep

Make sure that even if you have a large amount of work that you set aside time to get some rest. Sleep is integral to your mental health, and in times such as these, your mental health is one of the most important aspects of your life you should focus on. School work is important, but if you feel the need to take a nap during the day, do it. 

6. Get creative with how you study

Sitting all day at your desk, in addition to being boring, is bad for your posture and limits how active you can be. Switch it up — put your laptop on your dresser to be able to stand and complete assignments or attend class on Zoom. Do a plank, if you’re so bold, while you’re doing a reading assignment. Listen to your textbook readings if you can and go on a walk. Studying doesn’t always have to be the same. 

7. Have spa nights 

Gather up all of your face masks and nail polish. Make a night of candles, movies and laughs. Just take some time to take care of your skin and your mind. This will help improve your mood and your overall week, leaving you refreshed and happy, and leave you ready to take on the next day’s school work. 

8. Do something that makes you happy

Retail therapy, eating your favorite food, FaceTiming a friend and playing music are all valid ways to spend your free time. Anything that will make you just a little bit happier you should take the time out of your week to do it. It can be anything, small or big, from dancing to your favorite song and playing video games to just spending a little bit of time making yourself happy. 

9. Yoga

Yoga and meditation focus on mindfulness. Mindfulness is the practice of being fully aware of your surroundings and being present in the moment. This is incredibly helpful when a person is stressed because it helps ground them in what’s important. Yoga is an activity people of all skill levels can participate in and it is available online and outside during the pandemic.

10. Do a daily workout

YouTube is a very good resource for free workouts that you can do from your bedroom floor. Getting outside for a short run or working out at home lets you stay safe from the gym.  However, with the safety precautions in place, the gym can allow you to get away from your apartment, house or dorm. Working out boosts your immune system in addition to your mental health and is a great habit to start as this pandemic continues.