U.Va. reports 105 active COVID-19 cases in community, 78 of which are students

There have been 1,019 cases reported to the University since Aug. 17

The total daily average number of cases has decreased from 12 last week to 10 this week.

As of Thursday, the U.Va. COVID-19 Tracker reported 35 total new cases of COVID-19 in the University community since Monday. The tracker recorded six cases Monday, 10 Tuesday and 19 Wednesday. The total daily average number of cases has decreased from 12 last week to 10 this week. 

Since Aug. 17, 1,019 members of the University community have tested positive for COVID-19. 

25 of the 35 new positive tests are students  — five students tested positive for the virus Monday, six Tuesday and 14 Wednesday. The daily average number of student cases has dropped this week to seven, from last week’s average of 10.

The University’s COVID-19 Tracker compiles data collected by U.Va. Health Analytics, Student Health, Employee Health, and LetsGetChecked. Currently, the hospital lab takes 24 hours on average to process a test.

The University Medical Center reports 20 coronavirus patients in the hospital right now. Monday had one new hospitalization, Tuesday had two hospitalizations and Wednesday had three.

Last week, out of 3,613 total tests administered 86 were positive. Out of 3,125 student tests, 68 student tests were positive. Two weeks ago, 183 total and 162 student tests were positive, respectively. 

Student quarantine rooms are 10 percent occupied. Quarantine rooms are for people who may have been exposed to someone who tested positive for COVID-19. Isolation rooms are at six percent capacity. Individuals in isolation have tested positive for COVID-19. 

In the Charlottesville community, the Thomas Jefferson Health District Portal cites 4,074 total cases, 204 hospitalized patients and 74 fatalities so far.. 

This week, the University, in consultation with physicians and public health experts, rolled back restrictions on gatherings set on Sept. 22. On and off-Grounds, the permitted maximum size of gatherings is now 10 individuals, up from five the last three weeks. However, other restrictions that mandate mask-wearing, physical distancing of at least six feet, and limiting visitors and unnecessary travel, still hold. 

The University has also been expanding its testing program by testing all on-Grounds residents every nine days.  

The University’s COVID-19 Tracker is updated at 4 p.m. every weekday and the TJHD Data Dashboard is updated by 10 a.m. daily.