U.Va. reports 270 total active COVID-19 cases, 252 active student cases

Overall, 840 cases have been reported since Aug. 17, of which 270 are active cases

The average number of cases this week has been approximately 27.75 cases per day — a slight increase from last week’s average of 23 cases per day.

111 new cases of COVID-19 in the University community have been reported since Monday, of which 100 are student cases, according to the University’s COVID-19 Tracker. The average number of cases this week has been approximately 27.75 cases per day — a slight increase from last week’s average of 23 cases per day. This data was collected through UVA Health Analytics, Student Health, Employee Health and LetsGetChecked. 

In the University community — a metric that includes faculty, staff as well as students — 4 individuals tested positive for the virus on Monday, 45 on Tuesday, 33 on Wednesday and 29 on Thursday, according to the latest data provided by the COVID-19 tracker. Of the 62 people who tested positive Wednesday and Thursday, 54 were students. 

The number of total active cases in the University sits at 270, 252 of which are active student cases. Active cases are new cases with a positive test during the past 10 days, which require isolation on or off Grounds. Pre-arrival testing is not included in these numbers. 

The COVID tracker reported zero new hospital admissions Thursday, with the total number of hospitalizations at 23. The average time to complete a COVID test in a hospital lab has decreased to about 23 hours on average from 28 hours over the past week. This week, the University unveiled its new saliva screening program, Be SAFE, for more rapid prevalence testing, which will start on Friday. 

Last week, of 1,902 student tests administered, 151 were positive, giving a positivity rate of 7.9 percent.

The percentage of occupied quarantine rooms are at 29 percent. Nine percent of the University’s isolation rooms are currently occupied, for those who have tested positive for COVID-19.

According to the Thomas Jefferson Health District Portal, the community in Charlottesville at large has a total of 3,651 cases with 189 hospitalized patients and 70 fatalities so far. 

The University’s COVID-19 Tracker is updated at 4 p.m. every weekday and the TJHD Data Dashboard is updated by 10 a.m. daily.