U.Va. reports eight new cases of COVID-19 over Halloween weekend as the number of cases continues to decrease

Students were two of the eight new cases identified Friday, Saturday and Sunday

<p>The weekly average number of new cases per day among University students, faculty and staff has either decreased or remained constant over the past three weeks.</p>

The weekly average number of new cases per day among University students, faculty and staff has either decreased or remained constant over the past three weeks.

The University’s COVID-19 Tracker reported eight new cases of COVID-19 in the community over the weekend, for a total of 26 active cases among students, faculty, staff and contract employees. 

Active cases are those who have tested positive in the past 10 days. Among those with active cases, 13 are students and 13 are University faculty, staff or contract employees.

The weekly average number of new cases per day among University students, faculty and staff has either decreased or remained constant over the past three weeks. The University reported an average of four new cases per day this past week, down from seven from Oct. 18 to Oct. 24. 

While Friday, Saturday and Sunday generally have a lower number of positive cases than the weekdays, this weekend had the lowest number of cases of the semester. During the past three weekends of Oct. 9, Oct. 16 and Oct. 23, the number of new cases were 21, 11 and nine respectively. 

This weekend, the number of new cases decreased to eight. Two of the positive cases are students and six are University faculty, staff or contract employees.

However, it is too early to tell whether student behavior during the Halloween weekend will have an impact on the current trends. 

Between Oct. 25 and Oct. 31, a total of 5,442 tests were administered, with 4,938 of those tests being given to students and 504 administered U.Va. employees. From the testing last week, 25 positive cases were identified, which is a decrease from the 51 positive cases out of 5,042 tests two weeks earlier. The percentage of positive cases last week dropped by half compared to two weeks ago, from 1 percent to less than half a percentage point. 

The total number of positive cases at U.Va. since Aug. 17 is 1,108, with students making up 971 of those cases. 

Currently, there are 16 patients with COVID-19 at U.Va. Health. Tests administered through the hospital take an average of 21 hours to return.

Student isolation rooms are at 2 percent capacity, and quarantine rooms are at 4 percent capacity. Isolation rooms are for people who have tested positive for COVID-19, and the students who may have come into close contact with them are placed into quarantine dorms or hotel rooms.

More broadly, the Thomas Jefferson Health District Data Portal reports 4,526 total cases, 239 people hospitalized and 77 fatalities in the City of Charlottesville and five surrounding counties. 

The University’s COVID-19 Tracker is updated at 4 p.m. every weekday, and the TJHD Data Dashboard is updated by 10 a.m. daily.