Five Cavaliers named to All-ACC football teams

Senior linebacker Charles Snowden selected to second-team defense

<p>Zane Zandier (left) and Charles Snowden (right) both earned All-ACC honors for the second consecutive year.</p>

Zane Zandier (left) and Charles Snowden (right) both earned All-ACC honors for the second consecutive year.

The ACC unveiled its picks for the 2020 all-conference football teams Tuesday morning, and a total of five Virginia players were selected across all three teams and honorable mention selections.

Senior linebacker Charles Snowden led the way, earning a second-team all-defense selection. However, this certainly isn’t Snowden's first time receiving All-ACC accolades — last season he received an honorable mention selection. In 2020, he recorded 44 total tackles, 10 tackles for loss, 6 sacks and a forced fumble despite missing nearly three games due to a season-ending broken ankle. 

Snowden’s sack total was good for No. 9 in the country and No. 2 in the ACC among linebackers. His four-sack performance against No. 15 North Carolina was the most by a Virginia player in a single game since 1996. The team captain declared for the 2021 NFL Draft Dec. 20, ending his Virginia career.

“To the city of Charlottesville and Wahoo nation, thank you for accepting me, encouraging me, and allowing me to make Charlottesville my second home,” Snowden wrote in a tweet.

Sophomore linebacker Nick Jackson was named to the third team, marking his first All-ACC selection. He led the team with 105 total tackles including a career-high 13 tackles against North Carolina. He also added 6 tackles for loss, 2.5 sacks and a forced fumble over the course of the season. Jackson’s tackle total put him at fifth-best nationally and third-best in the ACC. 

Junior wide receiver Billy Kemp IV, senior offensive guard Chris Glaser and senior linebacker Zane Zandier all received enough votes to qualify for an honorable mention.

Kemp finished the season with 67 receptions, 644 receiving yards and 813 all-purpose yards, leading the team in each of those respective categories. Kemp also added one receiving touchdown. He had two games this season with 10 or more catches.

Glaser only allowed one sack this season and had 20 pancake blocks. He anchored a strong Virginia offensive line that finished first in the ACC for tackles for loss allowed. While Glaser has played for four years in Charlottesville, Virginia Athletics announced Monday that Glaser — along with 16 other fourth- and fifth-year players — have decided to return for another season, nine who are taking advantage of the NCAA’s decision to grant all fall athletes an additional year of eligibility.

“I wanted to come back because I believe this team can go far next season next,” Glaser said. “The past season was a good year for the [offensive] line, and I want to play one more year with them and for Brennan [Armstrong].”

The 2020 season marks Zandier's second-straight year earning an All-ACC honorable mention. Building on his success from last season, Zandier totaled 79 tackles, 7.5 tackles for loss and 2.5 sacks this season, while also forcing one fumble. He also declared for the 2021 NFL Draft Tuesday, forgoing his last season of eligibility.

In 2019, the Cavaliers had 10 All-ACC honorees, which was their most since 2014. Senior safety Joey Blount, junior center Olusegun Oluwatimi and senior kicker Brian Delaney were all selected to All-ACC teams last season but did not achieve that status this season.

After deciding to forgo a bowl game, Virginia football’s 2020 fall season has officially come to a close with a 5-5 record. The Cavaliers — along with three out of five of their 2020 All-ACC standouts — will be returning to action next fall for the 2021 college football season.