Men’s soccer falls to Wake Forest 3-0 in ACC Tournament

The Cavaliers were held scoreless in the first round of ACC Tournament

<p>The men's soccer team has struggled to produce on offense all season.</p>

The men's soccer team has struggled to produce on offense all season.

Virginia men’s soccer was defeated by Wake Forest Wednesday at Spry Stadium in Winston-Salem, N.C. The Demon Deacons knocked the Cavaliers out of the ACC Tournament in the first round and advanced to play Duke in the ACC Quarterfinals — a match they lost.

Wake Forest started the game with a strong offensive attack, generating three quality scoring opportunities on goal within the first 20 minutes, but Virginia sophomore goalkeeper Holden Brown made all three saves to keep the game scoreless. 

The Demon Deacons broke through in the 21st minute. Junior midfielder Omar Hernandez collected the ball after it ricocheted off a Cavalier defender and placed it past Brown to take the 1-0 lead. 

Wake Forest then extended its lead in the 42nd minute after a goal from senior forward Kyle Holcomb. After Brown made a save on a penalty kick in the 42nd minute, junior midfielder Jake Swallen took the ensuing corner kick which was finished by Holcomb. The ball just barely crossed over the Virginia goal line, but it was enough to put Wake Forest ahead 2-0. 

The Cavaliers generated two shots in the final minutes of the first half but were unable to capitalize on their opportunities. Wake Forest put the game away in the 69th minute after a one touch finish from freshman midfielder Leo Guarino went past the outstretched arms of Brown. 

Brown finished the game with a career-high 10 saves, but Wake Forest’s offensive attack was ultimately too much for the Virginia defense. Junior midfielder Jeremy Verley led Virginia in shots with three, but the Demon Deacons outshot the Cavaliers 17-6 in the match. 

The loss eliminated Virginia from the ACC Tournament and likely marks the end of its season.