From the archives: Oct. 30 – Nov. 5

This week: The Great Pumpkin, election excitement and a very good boy

1950s

November 5, 1952

“Most Important History Date is Election Day”

By Karl B. Knust, Jr.

With Election Day right around the corner, check out this article from 1952, written the day after President Eisenhower was elected. The top issues of the time included the Korean War and the Soviet Union. The women’s vote and an unprecedented voter turnout were cited as sources of variability.

1960s

October 31, 1963

“Great Pumpkin Flies O’er Rotunda Tonight”

By “Publius”

In this endearing “Letter to the Pumpkin”, the story of the Great Pumpkin unfolds — a spooky interpretation of a Santa Claus figure who delivers gifts to the University on Halloween night. Mysteriously signed “Publius” — meaning “the People” — the list of requests includes a beer machine in Cabell Hall and a gigantic parking lot

1970s

October 31, 1973

“Cy, The Wonderdog: Evoking Chants And Cheers During Halftime Escapades In His Lust For Frisbees”

By Andy Ballentine

Photos by Jim Robertson

Golden retriever Cy and his frisbee-catching skills, along with his owner, Chuck Hunter, delighted the half-time crowds at Scott Stadium. With his steadfast popularity among the student body, Cy served as an informal mascot and was described by Hunter as “a great dog."

1980s

November 3, 1986

“Student Council”

Various authors

In an interview with The Cavalier Daily, Student Council candidates were each asked three questions regarding top issues at the University. Their answers vary, but many candidates aimed to focus on diversity and safety.

1990s

November 5, 1991

“A trip to the University’s bowels”

By Joseph Lechowicz

The lure of the steam tunnels and one tunneler’s experience is documented in this article from 1991. The forbidden trek is quite dangerous, with burning hot pipes and an air temperature of around 130 degrees Fahrenheit.

2000s

November 1, 2005

“Charlottesville families and University community come together for annual trick-or-treating on Lawn”

By Vinu Ilakkuvan

Photos by Laura Michael

For nearly 40 years, Trick-or-Treating on the Lawn has been a cherished, fun-filled tradition at the University. The event is festive, lively and a wonderful chance for students to give back to the Charlottesville community. Don’t miss it!