No. 21 Virginia women’s golf finishes in 12th in its return to the links at the Windy City Classic

Freshman Jaclyn LaHa led the team in just her third collegiate tournament

<p>Freshman golfer Jaclyn Laha impressed in the Windy City Collegiate Classic.</p>

Freshman golfer Jaclyn Laha impressed in the Windy City Collegiate Classic.

Virginia women’s golf returned to the course Monday, tying for 12th place at the Windy City Classic in Chicago. After last week’s second-place finish at the Glass City Invitational, the No. 21 Cavaliers hoped to continue their momentum in a competitive 15-team field that featured No. 2 Wake Forest, No. 6 Oregon and No. 14 Texas.

The Cavaliers struggled when opening the tournament, shooting 7-over 295, sitting in 14th place, 23 shots behind first place. Senior Rebecca Skoler led the team in the first round, shooting 3-under 69, but every other Cavalier shot over par.

However, The Cavaliers rebounded in the second round, shooting 6-under and sitting in 13th place when play was suspended due to darkness Monday. They finished the round strong on Tuesday morning, led by freshman Jaclyn LaHa, who shot a career-best 5-under 67.

Finally, the Cavaliers split the difference in the third round, shooting 2-over 290. They finished at 3-over 867, 35 shots behind team champion No. 17 UCLA. 

LaHa was a bright spot in the team’s performance, leading Virginia at 37th place in only her third collegiate event with a score of 1-under 215. She is sure to continue to make an impact on Virginia’s season. After leading the team through the first two rounds, Skoler finished in 41st place with a score of 216 with a 2-over 74 on the final round. 

Junior Amanda Sambach notably struggled in the first round, shooting 4-over 76. Sambach — who notched her fourth career win at last week’s tournament — has excelled for most of the season, but her first round was the personal worst of the season so far. However, she rebounded during the third round, shooting a team-best final-round score of 3-under 69. 

After competing as an individual last week in her first collegiate tournament, freshman Kiera Bartholemew joined the Cavaliers’ lineup. Bartholomew finished tied for 77th place, her best score coming in the third round when she shot 3-over 75. Junior Megan Propeck finished in 70th with a final score of 12 over 228.

Virginia is back in action Oct. 20, traveling to the Stanford Intercollegiate for its last tournament of the fall season. The Cavaliers will look to rebound in what will certainly be stiff competition, led by host No. 1 Stanford. After a disappointing showing relative to their first two performances, Virginia does not look quite ready to compete with the best of the best in collegiate golf. But there were some encouraging performances from the Cavaliers, especially in terms of improving their squad depth for team competition. In order to find the top of the leaderboard at the Stanford Intercollegiate, each athlete must put in a season-best performance.