Community unites for march and vigil

Four hundred individual candles shone their light on the north side of the Rotunda last night as students, faculty members and local residents gathered to show their condemnation of the recent attack on Student Council President-elect Daisy Lundy and their support for progressive action in race relations at the University.

The candlelight vigil and the March Against Racial Hatred that preceded it were sponsored by the Committee for Progress on Race at the Law School.

Although plans originated from North Grounds, organizers and attendees stressed that the event was one intended to unite all members of the University community.

"We didn't focus [the event] to necessarily highlight law students in particular," said CPR March Coordinator Emily Fan. "The main focus was the ownership of the event by the entire University."

Two hundred individuals from throughout Charlottesville convened at the Law School and marched toward the Rotunda, shouting in unison for immediate progress: "What do we want? Progress. When do we want it? Now."

They were joined by group of about 100 marchers originating from the Lambeth colonnades.

"Irrespective of what school you're in, this is something faculty, staff and all students across the board need to unite on," said Law student Chris Nidel, a march participant. "I think it's important to show that the majority of students won't tolerate prejudice in any form."

Law student Grant Penrod brought his three children, aged 8, 4 and 16 months, to the march and vigil.

"This is my home, this is where I'm raising my children and I was very upset to see something like [the attack on Lundy] happen here," he said.

Speakers at the vigil praised participants for their demonstration of community solidarity.

Forth-year Commerce student Kwesi Smith, who spoke to the audience at the Rotunda, called the gathering "beautiful," but said he also wanted to convey a sense of urgency.

"Symbolic gestures are good, but we need action to back them up," Smith said.

Law student Scot Fishman followed Smith's call to action by arguing that the burden of responsibility to see change enacted fell on members of the community, and not on University administrators.

"You are guilty," Fishman told listeners. "But that does not make you the enemy, because we are all guilty of not doing enough."

Fishman ended his speech by asking students to do more than just condemn the recent attack.

"We have a broad consensus right here, right now, but we must be able to agree on more than just the fact that what happened to Daisy is wrong," he said.

Calling racism a "nihilistic threat," Forth-year College student Tim Lovelace, outgoing student member of the Board of Visitors, challenged vigil attendees to use both their heads and their hearts to combat discrimination.

"We all must engage our mind to the intellectual task at hand and we must all engage our hearts for the moral challenge ahead," Lovelace said.

Following speeches in the formal program of the vigil, concerned members of the audience were invited to come forward to voice their thoughts.