Police search for robber, assaulter

A University student was robbed at gunpoint near the Eagle's Landing apartment complex last Wednesday, and another student was sexually assaulted while walking on Wertland Street early yesterday morning.

The robbery last Wednesday took place at about 9 p.m.

The 24-year-old student, who lives in the Eagle's Landing apartment complex located near Jefferson Park Avenue and Interstate 64, was on a sidewalk outside the apartment complex when a man approached him with a gun and demanded his wallet.

The suspect was described as a black male between the ages of 18 and 30 who was wearing a dark-colored jacket and blue jeans, according to Albemarle County Police Sgt. Darrell Byers.

When the victim gave his wallet to the robber, the suspect fled the scene on foot. The wallet has not yet been recovered, Byers said. Nevertheless, the case is currently open and being investigated, he said.

The second incident occurred at 3 a.m. yesterday morning on the 1100 block of Wertland Street.

A female student was walking when a white male came from behind her and reached under her skirt, according to a press release from University Police officials. The suspect fled after the victim started kicking and screaming.

The victim described the suspect as a white male, 20-30 years old, who was wearing dark pants and a black North Face jacket.

Anyone with information about either incident should contact Crimestoppers at 434-977-4000.

-compiled by Caroline Newman and Tom Christensen