Student discharges gun

Fourth-year College student David Renardy was charged with a felony for discharging a gun in his apartment on Chancellor Street Tuesday. The bullet hit the neighboring Kappa Alpha Theta sorority house. No one was harmed in the incident.

Charlottesville Police Lt. Ronnie Roberts said the bullet struck the house after passing through a window and continued out.

"It occurred [Tuesday] evening; we received a call at about 4:22 p.m. about an accidental discharge of a firearm in an apartment," Roberts said,

Roberts said this does not happen on a regular basis, and it was not illegal for Renardy to have the firearm in his off-Grounds home. In Albemarle County, it is legal to possess a firearm as long as the owner has a valid driver's license and undergoes a proper screening process.

"You can own and possess a firearm in Albemarle County," Roberts said, "[There is] no violation of the law in possessing a firearm in a home or apartment as long as you aren't a convicted felon."

Renardy did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment for this story.

-compiled by Callie Herod