SPORTS

Starsia reveals impressive recruiting class

20120324mlaxvshopkinsmb216

Virginia coach Dom Starsia revealed his official 2013-14 recruiting class earlier this week. Several marquee names highlight the list of 10 recruits, including Matt Barrett, Inside Lacrosse’s top-rated rising senior goaltender, and Matt Emery, the younger brother of junior All-American Rob Emery.

Starsia’s impressive haul of high school stars arrives on the heels of a highly-touted 2012 class, which Inside Lacrosse ranked second nationwide behind North Carolina.

Barrett, a 6-foot, 220-pound Glenmoore, Pa. native, helped secure a No. 25 national ranking in 2011 for Malvern Prep, where he also plays football. Emery is a tall, powerful midfielder akin to his older brother and pegged as the No. 19 senior. He hails from San Francisco.

The class also features Zed Williams, New York state’s all-time leading scorer and a member of the Seneca Native-American tribe. He lives in Irving, N.Y. and also excels in football and basketball.

Other recruits include Jacob Dean of Medford Lakes, N.J.; AJ Fish of Grayslake, Ill.; Jeff Kratky of Darien, Conn.; Ryan Lukacovic of Syosset, N.Y.; Andrew Mullen of Toronto, Ontario; Michael Rhoads of McLean, Va.; and Alec Webster of Greenwich, Conn.

The men’s lacrosse team begins play this February.

Published November 27, 2012 in FP test, Sports