Virginia football shows signs of life

It’s time for me to fact check myself about this season’s Virginia’s football team.

After Georgia Tech manhandled the Cavaliers in a 56-20 third-week loss, I wrote a gloom-and-doom column about the team’s dark direction and detailed how Virginia could lose each remaining game. I closed the column by tempering the storm of negativity, writing, “Am I saying Virginia will lose all of its remaining games? Of course not. That is highly unlikely.” But in conversations with friends, I predicted that Virginia would in fact lose every remaining contest.

I wanted nothing more than to be wrong. A 2-10 season would have been an unmitigated disaster for a team with such high expectations after making a bowl last season. Given Virginia’s play on both sides of the ball, however, I saw no wins on the horizon.

For five disappointing weeks, I was right. There were close games against Louisiana Tech, Maryland and Wake Forest, and there were 20-plus-point fiascos at TCU and Duke. A third “W” remained beyond Virginia’s grasp.

The offense appeared sluggish and out of sync. The defense looked deflated, as if even when they buckled down and recorded stops, it wasn’t good enough for the offense. With a tough four-game slate to close the season, 2-10 looked like a realistic possibility.

Then Saturday happened.

The Cavaliers flicked a switch that many — myself included — thought was permanently turned off. They jumped to a 26-0 lead on the road en route to dominating N.C. State 33-6. In doing so, the Cavaliers reversed many of my concerns post-Georgia Tech.

In my September column, I called out the Virginia running game, particularly senior tailback Perry Jones and the offensive line, for lackluster performances. At the time, Virginia was averaging about 100 yards per contest on the ground, a year after rolling up more than 160. Saturday, the Cavalier line steamrolled the Wolfpack. Virginia recorded 248 rushing yards on a season-high 48 attempts.

Sophomore tailback Kevin Parks paced the attack with 25 carries for 115 yards, but Jones shined in multiple facets of the game, gaining 6.1 yards per carry and contributing six catches for 46 receiving yards. Virginia’s success on the ground allowed the team to control possession and keep the Wolfpack’s offense off the field for long stretches.

Virginia running game, I officially apologize.

On the other side of the ball, I cut the defense some slack because of Georgia Tech’s relatively odd offense but also noted that allowing 461 yards was just too much. Even after the Yellow Jackets, the defense often looked positively porous, particularly against Louisiana Tech.

But a whole different unit showed up Saturday. A defensive squad that had forced just four turnovers all season pressured the Wolfpack into five. N.C. State quarterback Mike Glennon entered the contest leading the ACC with almost 300 passing yards per game, but Virginia held the senior to under 200 yards for the first time all season. The suffocating secondary picked him off three times, and senior lineman Will Hill forced a safety by pressuring Glennon into grounding the ball in his own end zone.

The defensive line recorded six sacks as the Wolfpack went 2-for-13 on third down.

And that doesn’t even address Virginia’s outstanding run defense. N.C. State mustered just 19 yards on 24 carries. Think about that for a second. Virginia played without suspended linebacker Henry Coley and still held the Wolfpack to less than one yard per carry.

Virginia defense, I officially apologize. I didn’t think you had it in you.

I’ve heard some newly excited fans point out that Virginia is still mathematically in contention for bowl eligibility. Let’s put that thought to bed right now. Saturday’s game was a nice reminder that Virginia’s young players could develop into a very good team. But winning three straight games against Miami, North Carolina and Virginia Tech is unlikely.

The Hokies were clearly overrated preseason, but they are also a wounded team that would love nothing more than stomping its in-state rivals. The match against North Carolina is a high-pressure, nationally televised game after a short week of rest. Virginia must also avoid the emotional hangover after a breakout win when it faces Miami’s explosive offense.

Even without a bowl game, I’d like to apologize to the Virginia football program: I’m sorry I had you so wrong. Thank you for providing the signs of life that show, unlike me, you never gave up on salvaging some sense of pride this season.