NEWS

Southern Association of Colleges and Schools places University "on warning"

nsbovwb

The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS), the University’s accreditation agency, placed the institution ‘on warning’ Tuesday in response to Board governance concerns.

SACS can place its member institutions on warning, on probation or terminate accreditation entirely.

According to the organization, an ‘on warning’ sanction is “levied in the earlier stages of institutional review and often, but not necessarily, precedes Probation.”

“This action does not imply any criticism of the University’s academic quality and programs, nor does it affect the institution’s ability to receive federal aid,” University Provost John Simon said in a University-wide email.

SACS will send an investigative team to Grounds in early 2013.

“While the decision is disappointing, the University of Virginia pledges to work diligently to address the concerns cited by the commission,” Simon said.

This is a developing story.

Published December 11, 2012 in Grounds, FP test, News

• Gordon Westerly said:

"They put themselves in a dangerous position by clearly hurting someone on a level that remains unclear and all the while operating a fraternity that ...
    on The Cavalier Daily :: Being Phi Psi

• CLAS93 said:

Chased from your home by a mob, subject to death threats, unable to go to class because your own instructors are so blindly biased -- this is U.Va.? We ...
    on The Cavalier Daily :: Being Phi Psi

• Natalie said:

If Teresa Sullivan wanted the mob punished, the mob would already be punished. It's not a secret who smashed out the windows at Phi Psi. It's not a ...
    on The Cavalier Daily :: Being Phi Psi

• UVa_reader said:

This article should be required reading for faculty and students who rushed to judgment and used the RS article to unleash a torrent of unjustified criticism ...
    on The Cavalier Daily :: Being Phi Psi

• Gordon Westerly said:

He said what he had to say. Everyone is walking on eggshells so as not to offend anyone and get turned into a target (again).
    on The Cavalier Daily :: Being Phi Psi