Papendick, Bartholomew earn ACC Freshman of the Year

Backstroke specialists helped Virginia men's, women's squads claim ACC titles

The Virginia swimming and diving teams swept the ACC Freshman of the Year awards with Luke Papendick winning on the men’s side and Courtney Bartholomew winning for the women. Both swimmers excelled this season in the backstroke events.

Bartholomew won both the 100 and 200 backstroke at February’s ACC Championships and placed ninth in the 100 back and 10th in the 200 back in the NCAA Championship meet last month. She holds the second fastest time in Virginia history in both events.

Papendick claimed second place in the 200 back at the ACC Championship and placed ninth in the same event at the NCAA Championship. His All-American performance at the NCAA’s earned him the fastest time in the 200 back in program history. He also ranks third all-time for Virginia in the 100 back.

Both swimmers contributed greatly to their respective squad’s ACC Championship title, which was the sixth consecutive for each program.

Bartholomew becomes the second consecutive Cavalier woman to win the award — sophomore Ellen Williamson claimed the honor a year ago. Papendick is the first to earn the recognition since Olympian Matt McLean in 2008.

North Carolina captured three of the 10 postseason ACC awards given, including male and female swimmers of the year. Duke and Miami joined Virginia with two awardees each.