SPORTS

Women's Soccer remains perfect with 3-1 win

No. 1 Cavaliers handle Pittsburgh, improve to 9-0 for first time since 2004

The No. 1 Virginia women’s soccer kept its hot start to the season alive in Pittsburgh Sunday afternoon, downing the Panthers 3-1 to move to 9-0 for the first time since 2004.

For the second time in as many games, the Cavaliers (9-0, 3-0 ACC) found themselves in a 1-0 hole and were forced to rally. Pittsburgh (4-5-1, 0-4 ACC) grabbed the lead in the 11th minute when senior forward Dana DelleFemine took advantage of a through ball and beat Cavalier senior goalkeeper Danielle DeLisle in the lower left corner.

Virginia was able to respond in the 27th minute when star junior midfielder Morgan Brian finished a cross from junior midfielder Danielle Colaprico for her sixth goal of the season. From there, it was all Virginia as the Panthers did not record another shot in the first half.

Sophomore forward Makenzy Doniak got her seventh and eighth goals of the season in the second half, which put Pittsburgh away for good. Aside from the lone goal early, Doniak and the rest of the Cavaliers dominated the match, outshooting the Panthers 37-3 and not allowing a single corner kick.

Virginia will finish a three-game road trip Thursday when it travels to Durham, N.C. to take on No. 18 Duke.

Published September 22, 2013 in Sports

• Sabrina No Source said:

Jackie lied about the rape to make Randall jealous. Why are editors of the student newspaper at Jefferson's university so afraid of the truth?
    on Students produce video thanking Jackie

• James Roberts said:

Falsely accusing others of assault is a crime. The fallout from this is going to keep raining down on Jackie and UVa for years. Cavalier Daily has not ...

• Carrie Clarke said:

Publishing this in the school newspaper is extremely callous and insulting to all of the other UVa students and faculty (Dean Eramo) who have been harmed ...

• HallieJane said:

Dear Cavalier Daily: Where on God's green earth have you been. No one was in a better position to discover Jackie was lying - Was there a party that ...

• CrazyD said:

The Washington Post has a bombshell today where it was revealed that Jackie made up the UVA Junior in order to get "Randall" jealous and interested in ...