O'Hill employee shot to death, investigation underway

Students, dining hall employees grieve loss of Jarvis Brown, counseling services made available for support

Jarvis Brown was the victim of Charlottesville’s first homicide of the year early Thursday morning. He died of a single gunshot wound, fired on the 2500 block on Woodland Drive around 2:30 a.m.

Brown was an employee at Crossroads, in the Sbarro restaurant on Grounds.

Charlottesville Police responded to a 911 call at 3:15 a.m. and found Brown’s body upon arriving to the scene, roughly two miles south of Central Grounds. Forensic staff and detectives remained on scene well into the morning, Lieutenant Robertson of the Charlottesville police department said.

“Mr. Brown was a valued member of our dining team for two years and will be greatly missed,” Aramark spokesperson Karen Cutler said. Counseling and on-site support is currently available to other dining employees.

Brown was a frequent feature in the text feedback system displayed on the television screens at Observatory Hill Dining Hall.

“He was always really nice, and would put a smiley face on my pizza box when I told him I was really stressed about homework,” first-year College student Colleen Adenan said.

A fund to support Brown’s two-year-old daughter is currently in the works.