Subscribe to the Cavalier Daily

Team, Harris earn preseason ACC accolades

sp_joeyhoops_jtruong

A panel of 54 media members pegged Virginia men’s basketball to finish fourth in the revamped ACC Wednesday at the conference’s Operation Basketball media day event in Charlotte. The media also named Cavalier senior guard Joe Harris to the preseason all-ACC team.

By virtue of receiving 50 of 54 first-place votes, Duke will enter the 2013-14 season as the ACC favorite, followed by conference debutant Syracuse and stalwart North Carolina. Newcomers Notre Dame and Pittsburgh are slated at fifth and sixth, respectively, just ahead of Maryland, who will decamp for the Big Ten next autumn. Other notables include defending conference champion Miami (12th) and Virginia Tech (15th).

After leading Virginia in scoring and earning All-ACC First Team recognition in 2013, Harris finished just one vote behind Syracuse’s C.J. Fair in ACC Preseason Player of the Year voting. Notre Dame’s Jerian Grant and the Duke tandem of Rodney Hood and Jabari Parker join Fair and Harris on the all-conference squad.

Parker, a nationally renowned recruit from Chicago, also nabbed the distinction of Preseason ACC Rookie of the Year.

The Cavaliers open play Nov. 8 against James Madison.

—Compiled from staff reports

Published October 16, 2013 in FP test, Sports