Love Connection: James and Victoria

Second-years exchange fart jokes and pick-up lines over pizza Downtown

Victoria

Year: Second
Major: Italian and Psychology
Hometown: Arlington, Va.
U.Va. involvement: Salsa Club, Madison House
Ideal date (physical attributes): The classic tall, dark and handsome
Ideal date (activity): Some fun activity that is completely new to both of us. (I find taking someone out of his comfort zone is the best way to get to know someone) Or a simple dinner with good conversation.
Deal breakers? He needs to be able to carry a conversation and be open to new ideas.
Describe a typical weekend: Studying, going out with friends at night, movies, shopping
Hobbies: Jogging, yoga, reading and baking
What makes you a good catch? I don’t take myself too seriously, so I am not afraid to make fun of myself. I am fun-loving and willing to try anything once.
What is your spirit animal? Otter
What’s your favorite pick-up line? “Did you just fart? Because you BLEW me away!” Anything that I haven’t heard before or makes me laugh
Describe yourself in one sentence: I have high standards for myself and I highly value my friends and family.

James

Year: Second
Major: English and Media Studies
Hometown: Leesburg, Va.
U.Va. Involvement: I’m an Arts & Entertainment Associate Editor for the The Cavalier Daily, a member of the To Write Love on Her Arms U-Chapter and I work at the Aquatic & Fitness Center whenever I feel like putting off mountains of reading.
Ideal date (physical attributes): I’ve really never dated anyone taller than me…but I’ve only dated like two people anyway. I’m not picky on much else. But, I do like a person’s eyes because I’ve been told my eyes are cool before, so that would be pretty neat to share with someone.
Ideal date (activity): I really like pizza more than a grown person should. I’m also a huge fan of collecting vinyl despite only starting up last year — so digging through record stores and thrift stores is a pretty gnarly adventure that I’ve always liked in the past.
Deal breakers?: I really cannot stand “The Big Bang Theory.” I’m nitpicking and I’m sure that’s not even fair, but I’d question someone’s sanity if they regularly tuned in to it. Also, if you don’t know who Blink-182 is… seriously, just open Spotify right now and give any track a spin. You’re already 10 times better in my book, babe.
Describe a typical weekend: If I’m not working a closing shift at the AFC, Friday nights are most likely spent spinning records on my less-than-stellar turntable while hanging out with my best buds. There’s always Netflix and bad jokes on the agenda.
Hobbies: I wrote a book in the 11th grade with more teenage angst than my Twitter account could ever have. Since then, I’ve attempted to keep that creativity alive through short stories and an attempt at another novel — and it hasn’t been easy to keep up with. I do write for a blog called “Modern Vinyl” besides everything else on my plate when I can. We’re pretty killer. Honestly, I just like getting my thoughts out there. Other than that, I’m into concerts, food, ‘80s movies, covering songs with my roommate and badly playing the drums when I’m back home.
What makes you a good catch: I make pretty excellent mixes for people. Seriously, hit me up with a mood you’re feeling, an emotion you’re sick of, an album you’re currently loving — and I’ll try to create the best experience for you. Sometimes I can get super creative with sound effects and movie quotes, too. Also, I’ve been told I’m pretty selfless, which is a pretty heavy label to impose, but I really like helping people out and love giving out advice. I’m not really good at this bragging thing … so you could say I’m humble.
What is your spirit animal: Definitely a turtle. I move slow, but I have a pretty tough shell. I guess I could be a pretty sweet Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle. They love pizza, after all!
What’s your favorite pick-up line? I honestly have no idea. I think I was trying to pick up girls at work today by speaking German. I’m lame.
Describe yourself in one sentence: I have a pretty big heart for being this small.

James and Victoria met on Friday at 7:30 p.m. at Vita Nova on the Downtown Mall.

James: I decided to apply for Love Connection as a way to reach out and meet new people. I have my circle of friends, but I wanted to get to know more people at U.Va.

Victoria: I heard about Love Connection my first year and then forgot about it until I was reading the Cav Daily the other week. The article I read sounded fun so I applied on a whim.

James: I was pretty excited when I heard that I had been matched up on a date. I have never been on a blind date before so I went into it without any expectations.

Victoria: When I heard that I had been selected, I told my friend who had helped me with my application. She was really excited for me.

James: I caught the trolley to the Downtown Mall, but I got there half an hour early. Most of the stores were closed so I just stood outside Vita Nova and waited for her. While I was waiting, she somehow walked into the restaurant without me noticing. I wish I could have been a little smoother on the introduction.

Victoria: I got there at 7:30 and noticed a guy outside but didn’t realize that wasn’t him. I went inside and after five minutes I finally figured out that James was the guy outside so I went out and introduced myself. It was pretty funny.

James: My first impression of her was really good. She had a nice smile and her friendly attitude was definitely apparent.

Victoria: When I saw him I was worried that I was too overdressed, but he didn’t seem to mind.

James: During dinner, the conversation was great. There wasn’t a dull moment; she was fun to talk to and had a good sense of humor.

Victoria: Overall, the conversation was really easy and flowed well. I was worried that I talked too much because I was nervous, but the conversation seemed pretty balanced. We were the only two people in the restaurant until this random guy came in and started cursing loudly, which was really funny.

James: We started with the general talk about years and majors and then got to the more interesting conversation about things like our childhood memories, what we still want to do at U.Va. and then our plans for when we graduate. After the first five minutes my nerves were gone, and I discovered that she was a really good conversationalist.

Victoria: He was really funny and smart. We stayed until the restaurant closed talking about everything from our really embarrassing experiences, which he promised not to reveal to anyone, and our love of fart jokes, which surprisingly we had in common.

James: We both had a similar sense of humor and good ideas of what we want to do in the future. We’re both from No.Va. but don’t have any mutual friends. We realized before the date we both speculated about whether we were being set up with one of our friends from home with the same names as our date that go to U.Va.

Victoria: He definitely has a goofy sense of humor, which I love. He really wants to travel and I love traveling so we talked about that for a while.

James: After dinner we went to Splendora’s across the street for some gelato. We both live in Lambeth so then we took the trolley back together. The ride home was really fun; we never stopped talking.

Victoria: After we rode the trolley back we hugged and exchanged numbers. Overall, I would rate the date a 9. I was flirting some to test the waters, but I couldn’t tell if he was flirting with me.

James: I’m the worst at picking up signals from girls. There was definitely a good vibe, and we joked about pick-up lines during the date. I tried to think of a good pick up line but unfortunately couldn’t come up with one in time.

Victoria: We’ve been texting since the date, and I could definitely see myself hanging out with him again.

James: I would rate the date a solid 9. We had good conversation, good pizza and good gelato. She was a really cool and interesting person. I’m open to a second date, but I just have to figure out the right time.

Victoria: I could see it evolving into something romantic. If he asked me out on another date, I would say yes.