Living Wage hosts vigil for Jarvis Brown

Memorial for O'Hill employee draws crowds, calls for unity among students, workers

The Living Wage Campaign hosted a vigil for former Crossroads employee Jarvis Brown Wednesday night, gathering students, staff and members of Brown’s family in the field outside Observatory Hill dining hall.

Brown was murdered Oct. 17 on the 2500 block of Woodland Drive, about a mile south of the University.

The vigil began with speeches from third-year Batten student Eden Zekarias and fourth-year College student Joe Williams.

“[Brown] was somebody who was always looking to help somebody — somebody who was looking to love,” Williams said. “He had a heart that everyone could feel … I’m so grateful so many came out to show that Jarvis really was appreciated and really did mean something to our community.”

Several students described how Brown would reach out to students he met at Crossroads, including an instance when Brown assisted a student in finding a lost cell phone.

Caitlin Levine, a third-year College student and member of the Living Wage Campaign, said the group wanted to hold the event to recognize Brown’s legacy and bridge the gap between the students and workers at the University.

“We thought it was especially important to hold it in light of the University’s lack of response to his death,” Levine said. “He was one of us. He was a Hoo, too.”

James Mack, Brown’s mother’s fiancée, recently established a trust fund for Brown’s two-year old daughter and other family members.

—Inquiries into the Jarvis Brown fund or the Living Wage campaign may be directed to baldmack@yahoo.com