Cavaliers top Coppin State, 70-45

Suarez, Imovbioh, Franklin all tally double-figure scoring in big home win

sp_wbball_egorham

One week ago, the Virginia women’s basketball team won just their second game in seven tries. Saturday, the Cavaliers won their second straight game, topping Coppin State 70-45 in the first round of the Cavalier Classic in Charlottesville.

Virginia (6-6) started quickly, jumping out to an early 7-2 lead, but the Eagles fought back to tie the game at 9-9. The teams were close for a while — Coppin State (4-7) even led briefly at 15-12 — but the Cavaliers used a 20-6 run to finish the first half up 32-21. Senior guard Ataira Franklin had 12 points in the half to help pace the team.

Virginia cruised in the second half, building a huge lead — the Eagles were never closer than seven points behind. Freshman guard Tiffany Suarez finished with a team-high 16 points and six assists, and junior forward Sarah Imovbioh added 13 points and three rebounds. Franklin was held scoreless in the second half, but finished with eight rebounds in addition to her 12 points. Senior forward Kyra Coleman led Coppin State in scoring with 16 points.

The Cavaliers are next in action Sunday, as they take on Princeton in the final round of the tournament. The Tigers topped Alabama 79-59 Saturday in their first-round game.

Published December 28, 2013 in FP test, Sports

OPINION

• Of body and mind

As human beings, there is no reason to treat people with mental health disorders differently than we ...

• EMERY: We’re all in this together

Mental health issues also affect college students who are comfortable with who they are, who cope well ...

• AHMED: ADAPTing to college life

The most worthy part of ADAPT’s mission, in my eyes, is one of social norms. We have the ability to ...