Young Alumni Council launches #GivingTueHoosDay campaign

Holiday giving campaign hopes to engage students, alumni in giving back to the University

Last year, a group of nonprofits spanning the entire country launched the national #GivingTuesday campaign, designating a day devoted to giving at the start of the holiday season.

Tuesday, the Young Alumni Council sponsored the campaign at the University under the name #GivingTueHoosDay and raised more than $100,000.

“[This event] is a new way to engage alumni and friends of the University,” said Johanna Montague, assistant director for reunions and class activities for the Alumni Association.

The national campaign received more than $10 million in online donations in its first year with the help of “more than 2,500 recognized #GivingTuesday partners from all 50 states,” according to its website. The YAC hoped to capitalize on the national event to spur fundraising and engagement for the University, said YAC member Darius Nabors, a 2007 College graduate.

“The two big days [Black Friday and Cyber Monday] are very consumer oriented; we should also have a day to give back to philanthropies,” he said.

After seeing the campaign’s success at other schools, Nabors said the YAC decided to bring it to Charlottesville.

Becuase #GivingTueHoosDay is in its inaugural year, the YAC established no set goal for donations. “There’s been a lot of excitement about [Giving TueHoosDay] and we’re just seeing how people respond,” Montague said.

Donors could give to any number of causes or organizations affiliated with the University.

“There is an even distribution of donations to everything from apartments around the school to athletics,” Montague said.

AccessUVa was an especially popular area for donation. University President Teresa Sullivan announced that she would match every dollar raised for AccessUVa by the Young Alumni Council up to $10,000, and an anonymous donor matched Sullivan’s offer.

“Increasing philanthropic support for the University is more important than ever,” Sullivan said in a press release. “I applaud the Young Alumni Council’s efforts … [which] help build awareness and attract gifts for so many important purposes.”