PRESS RELEASE: Cavalier Daily announces fundraising effort to enhance readers’ engagement with print edition

Student newspaper aims to bolster physical presence on Grounds by acquiring new distribution boxes

The Cavalier Daily, the University of Virginia’s independent student newspaper, is launching a five-week campaign to raise funds for new distribution boxes.

The 124-year-old publication aims to raise $8,000 to purchase 75 distribution boxes for placement around the University’s Grounds and the Charlottesville community. Friends of the paper can visit www.igg.me/at/cavalierdaily between Jan. 21 and Feb. 28 to contribute.

This investment will allow the paper, which has a print circulation of 10,000, to triple the number of outdoor locations where readers can find papers.

“We know a considerable number of our readers want to read The Cavalier Daily in print,” Editor-in-Chief Kaz Komolafe said. “The success of this campaign would allow us to give our readers what they want.”

Last January, The Cavalier Daily announced plans to cut printing to twice a week while focusing on cultivating a more robust digital presence. As part of this shift, which launched in August 2013, The Cavalier Daily switched to a 14-inch newsmagazine format.

The Cavalier Daily currently has 24 outdoor distribution boxes located at various points around the University and Charlottesville. The newsmagazine fits imperfectly in the current boxes. In addition, many of the distribution boxes are damaged or heavily worn. New distribution boxes will help The Cavalier Daily better serve its readers and will make the twice-a-week print edition more easily accessible to the University and Charlottesville communities.

The decision to turn to readers, University community members and University alumni for support came after months of deliberation among Cavalier Daily editors and staffers. The Cavalier Daily is financially and editorially independent from the University. This freedom allows The Cavalier Daily to report aggressively on sensitive issues related to University governance and policy. But it also leaves the paper vulnerable to many of the financial challenges facing print media today.

The Cavalier Daily is grateful to its readers for their continued support. Although the paper has enjoyed serving readers through a host of recent digital initiatives — including the launch of a mobile application and a daily e-newsletter — The Cavalier Daily’s print edition remains a core part of how readers experience the paper.

To support The Cavalier Daily’s efforts to engage with readers in print, and to learn more about the fundraising campaign, please visit www.igg.me/at/cavalierdaily or visit our campaign on Facebook.

Contact:
Kaz Komolafe
Editor-in-Chief, The Cavalier Daily
k.komolafe@cavalierdaily.com