Student Council previews agenda for upcoming semester

Goals include organization, outreach, funding improvements

Student Council met Tuesday night to discuss new initiatives for the spring semester, focusing on outreach, productivity and internal organization.

“Internally, Student Council has had the [stereotype] that the second semester of our term doesn’t mean as much,” said fourth-year College student Michael Promisel, the chair of Council’s representative body. “We want to completely dissuade the council from this idea. There is still business to do.”

Council President Eric McDaniel, also a fourth-year in the College, highlighted four main goals for the new semester, the first being direct response to student concerns with more fervor.

McDaniel also emphasized outreach toward groups Council has had trouble engaging in the past, and stressed the importance of evaluation and reflection on past events and initiatives.

“We want to do more debriefing — taking a defined period of time to look at how an event went,” McDaniel said. “I’d like to make sure we are doing that for all of our events.”

Vice President for Administration Annie Ungrady, an Arts and Sciences graduate student, said Council members will consider switching to a new internal management site, Trello, to organize and oversee committee activities.

Following that discussion of Council organization, Vice President for Organizations Neil Branch, a fourth-year Batten student, presented on contracted independent organization funding challenges.

“The funding process is always an ongoing process,” Branch said. “One of the biggest challenges is that there is always more left to do.”

Branch proposed capping CIO funding request levels and increasing the Student Activities Fee as potential ways to improve funding.

Published January 14, 2014 in FP test, News

OPINION

• Maintain zero tolerance

The Office of the Dean of Students was right to revoke FOAs for fraternities who conducted hazing activities ...

• WHISNANT: The United States of oligarchy

Because preferences of elites and average voters sometimes line up, the bias of the political process ...

• Get SMART

The SMART Resolution is evidence that student leaders understand the problems of the community and can ...