Honor to remove UBE ballot question

Committee to conduct proctored exam survey instead

nshonormbronfin

Honor Committee Chair Evan Behrle, a fourth-year College student, said putting the question of proctored exams on a survey rather than a ballot in the University Board of Elections process, as previously proposed, will allow for a more comprehensive gauge of student opinion.

The Honor Committee repealed its decision made Feb. 9 to place a question on the student elections ballot asking students’ opinions on non-proctored exams. The Committee will conduct a survey instead.

Honor Committee Chair Evan Behrle, a fourth-year College student, said the new survey format will have between six and 10 questions to offer a more comprehensive gauge of student opinion.

“[The questions will break] down the proctoring versus non-proctoring concerns,” Behrle said. “We can get a more representative sample of the student body by conducting a more formal survey.”

The Committee will incur the survey’s cost. Behrle said the brief survey would be less expensive than a more comprehensive one.

He also said the shift toward non-proctored exams is common among the University’s peer schools.

“Other schools with strong honor codes like ours … have in some cases exclusively take-home exams,” Behrle said.

The faculty and provost will make the final decision concerning the University’s examination methods. Behrle said the Committee’s survey would inform the faculty’s discussion of the matter.

“We can’t make the decision for faculty,” Behrle said. “We want to give them as much information to student opinion as we can.”

If approved, the University’s Institutional Assessment and Studies group will conduct the survey, asking what Behrle called a “representative sample” of students to participate.

Behrle said he hopes to have the survey results by mid-March at the latest.

Published February 16, 2014 in FP test, News