Outgoing Student Council executive committee holds last meeting

President Eric McDaniel gives congratulatory farewell remarks

<p>The outgoing executive members of Student Council met for the last time on Tuesday evening.</p>

The outgoing executive members of Student Council met for the last time on Tuesday evening.

In the last Student Council meeting for outgoing executive committee members, the general body passed resolution SR-1402 in support of opening a Green Revolving Fund at the University. The fund will be used for various sustainability projects around Grounds.

Fourth-year Commerce student Chris Zapple, who sponsored the resolution, said the initiative would be self-sustaining.

“Essentially, the GRF [would] encourage sustainable projects here within the University community,” Zapple said. “This is a fund which groups can pull money from all semester and this is a fund that can continue to replenish itself with the money raised from these projects.”

Second-year Commerce student Alex Russell, member of Council’s sustainability committee, said similar funds have been very successful at other schools.

Second-year Engineering student Lia Cattaneo, who is also on the sustainability committee, said a fund would be more beneficial than the different sustainability programs which are already in place at the University.

“We’ve seen a number of different funds that we have here at the University [and] none of them are a fully revolving, centralized fund,” Cattaneo said. “The things that they’re doing right now are really great and they’re getting stuff done, but it’s just not up to the maximum efficiency. We want to push forward the institutional value of sustainability at the University.”

Potential projects which could funded by a GRF include the installation of solar powered rooftops on academic buildings or more energy-efficient heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems.

Arts Committee Chair Kelsey Petrie, a fourth-year College student, also spoke to promote the upcoming Arts Madness festival. The festival will take place next weekend from Friday to Sunday.

“On Friday there is a poetry slam during Final Fridays on the second floor of the museum and there are also three UPC sponsored short courses that day,” Petrie said. “Then on Sunday is our huge Arts Madness festival in the amphitheater from 1-5. There will be a photo booth, a graffiti wall, student-made arts and crafts and jewelry will be sold.”

This meeting marked the last Council meeting for outgoing executive members. President Eric McDaniel, a fourth-year College student, gave closing remarks reflecting on Council’s accomplishments and the rewarding experience of being a member of Council.

“It has been really wonderfully and surprisingly rewarding,” McDaniel said. “What has made Council wonderful and rewarding for me is the team of people that we’ve put together. All of the reps and committee chairs and committees have changed council remarkably. A lot of the critiques that have been levied in the past are that we weren’t stepping up to the bar on fighting for student issues. That critique isn’t going to be true again for a very long time and that is due to the excellent work that you all have put in.”