Softball hosts Fordham following rough week

Team still searching for offense halfway through season

spsofthvelkcourtesyvirginiaathletics

The Virginia softball team will welcome Fordham to The Park for a doubleheader Thursday. The games come following a Wednesday cancellation of the series against ACC rival Maryland because of adverse field conditions.

Last week was unkind to the Cavaliers (3-21, 1-10 ACC), who dropped both games against Georgia Tech and were swept by Syracuse in a three-game series. The opposition outscored Virginia 48-8 across the five games.

Junior outfielder Heidi Velk was one of the few highlights in the Cavaliers’ lineup, going 7-for-15, with two home runs and three runs batted in during the week. Velk’s speed allows her to be a sparkplug for the slumping offense. Her eight steals lead the team.

The Rams (12-14) will pose a stiff challenge Thursday. Their sub-.500 record may not accurately reflect the talent on their roster, with Fordham dropping a tight game to then-No. 6 Oregon at the Mary Nutter Classic 3-2.

Virginia sophomore pitcher Aimee Chapdelaine will have her hands full with the Rams’ balanced lineup. Freshman infielder Amy Van Hoven leads the way with a .294 batting average, and five of her teammates are hitting .265 or better. Senior infielder Elise Fortier supplies the pop to the lineup — pacing the Fordham hitters in home runs, runs batted in and slugging percentage.

The Cavaliers will also have to battle against a deep and talented pitching staff, with three pitchers who have made starts this season. Junior Michele Daubman has been the go-to option inside the circle, with a 7-7 record in 14 starts this season and a respectable 3.29 ERA. Freshman Lauren Quense’s meager 2.02 ERA — earning her four wins so far — leads the Fordham staff.

The opening pitch of the first game is set for 4 p.m., while game two is slated for 6 p.m.

—compiled by Matthew Wurzburger

Published March 19, 2014 in Sports