Women's golf posts strong showings in South Carolina, Florida

Cavaliers finish 13th and sixth in first tournaments since February

8853444

The Virginia women’s golf team traveled to Hilton Head, S.C. and Gainesville, Fla. during Spring Break to compete in the Darius Rucker Intercollegiate and the SunTrust Gator Invitational. The Cavaliers finished 13th and sixth, respectively.

In South Carolina, Virginia faced a strong field, with 12 of the 17 teams ranked in the top-25, according to Golfstat. Freshman Lauren Diaz-Yi led the Cavaliers with a 10-over 223 to place 26th overall, while the team shot a three-day 51-over 903. No. 3 Duke, last year’s ACC champions, won the tournament with a 10-over 862.

After a five-day break, the Cavaliers hit the links again at the Gator Invitational. There, senior Elizabeth Brightwell shot an 8-over 218 to finish eighth — the fourth time she’s placed in a tournament top 10 in her career. Top individual honors went to Miami freshman Daniela Darquea, whose 3-under 67 in the last round gave her a final score of 4-over 214. Virginia, as a team, had a 54-hole total of 886, with No. 12 Arizona’s 866 ranking the best among the 14 teams present.

The Cavaliers will have a two-week layoff before heading back onto the course March 28-30 for the Bryan National Collegiate in Browns Summit, N.C.

Published March 17, 2014 in Sports