U.Va. salaries: academic faculty, staff

Lectures, non-tenture-track professors make lowest salaries

Recently collected data on faculty salaries at the University shows the highest paid faculty members are employed at the Law School, Batten School and Engineering School. Former University president and English Prof. John T. Casteen III received a salary of $404,200 — the highest in the College.

View the complete list of academic faculty salaries here.

“Most salaries are determined on whether faculty members are tenured, on tenure-track, or are on a non-tenure track,” University spokesperson McGregor McCance said in an email. “The process to determine tenure or promotion is based on the employment policies of each school. [H]owever the process to be tenure or receive a promotion must be approved by the vice president and provost office and the Board of Visitors among others.”

See our full coverage of administrator, medical center and facilities salaries.

The Batten School, the Law School and the Engineering School have the highest mean salaries — all above $100,000. The Law School holds the highest mean salary at $171,251.

In the College, distinguished professors or those who hold endowed chair positions have the highest salaries. Professors receive the second highest salaries, associate and assistant professors, most of whom have not yet attained tenure, have the third highest salaries. Lecturers hold the lowest salaries among faculty, making between $20,000 and $75,000.

McCance said lecturers are non-tenure track members and do not have many research responsibilities.

“[Lecturers] have a limited term at the University,” McCance said.